New here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BYFERT

Jan 26, 2010
NEPA
Hello all. New to the site. I've been looking around and it looks very informative. After a few searches and still no answer (might be me) I have a couple of questions. I will be burning hardwood, mostly oak, in a small house, 545 sqft, ( hopefully inside a stove). I would like to use it as my main heat. Do you thing a small stove will burn all night (one rated to heat 1200sqft)? Also what would you recommend to be the wallboard for behind the stove? I have about 14" clearance and would like to brick vaneer behind the stove. I am trying to stay away from a plate. Any suggestions would be helpful.

A small stove will not last all night, but it should be able to keep 545 sq ft heated provided the windows and insulation to the home are decent.

I have a small stove and if I use oak, I can get it to go about 4 hours before the thermal switch turns off the blower. I have coals that I can use to restart a split for about 6 hours. You would be having to wake up every 3 hours or so to re-load.

For an overnight burn with a decent stove, I have found that a 2 cubic foot firebox is about the smallest you would want to go. When your living in the room where the stove is, just feed it a few sticks at a time on a low burn. Load it up at night for the overnight burns and adjust the heating going into the bedroom by how open/closed you keep your bedroom door. During the night the living area may get over 80 degrees, but you'll be sleeping anyhow. You may end up burning a little extra wood this way, but what the heck.

To get a smallish stove for heat that will go the longest for burn time, it will most likely take a catalytic stove. A small Woodstock stove like the Keystone or Palladian might work with a window open a bit during the fall and spring.

BYFERT said:
Hello all. New to the site. I've been looking around and it looks very informative. After a few searches and still no answer (might be me) I have a couple of questions. I will be burning hardwood, mostly oak, in a small house, 545 sqft, ( hopefully inside a stove). I would like to use it as my main heat. Do you thing a small stove will burn all night (one rated to heat 1200sqft)? Also what would you recommend to be the wallboard for behind the stove? I have about 14" clearance and would like to brick vaneer behind the stove. I am trying to stay away from a plate. Any suggestions would be helpful.

As others have mentioned getting an overnight burn with a small stove can be challenging . . . having good, well-seasoned fuel helps (i.e. the oak you have . . . assuming it is seasoned, most folks recommend 2-years for oak.) I think the best suggestion would be to go with a good, small cat stove for the longer, lower burns at night when you're sleeping and all tucked in under the covers.

As for walls and wall protection . . . in your case I would figure out what type/size stove I would need . . . and then see what the clearance requirements are . . . I mean you could shop around for a stove that would have a minimum clearance of 14 inches . . . but I think it would make more sense to narrow down the type/size stove you want first and then determine if it would fit into your installation requirements . . . many stoves built nowadays do have lower clearance requirements, but not all. As for the wall . . . the main thing is to remember to keep your clearance to combustibles figure in mind . . . otherwise it really doesn't matter too much as to what you have on the walls . . . I mean to say, I wouldn't put up foam on the wall behind my stove, but you can go with regular drywall providing the minimum clearance has been met.

Status
Not open for further replies.