new hobby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JHall said:
Very interesting topic.. I am gald it started because I have been thinking about getting a hive or 2 for myself... Being an organic gardener, I was thinking of getting hives more for helping pollinate my garden and fruit trees more than anything... Although I do love honey, nothing like it as a final glaze for teh chicken after a few hours on the BBQ....

Check out setting up 'houses' for orchard or bumble bees if you are solely interested in pollination . ...something I plan on doing next year in Spring

Don't be afraid of the bees. If the hive is not real close to the house then you won't even notice much difference in the bee population around you. The bees are busy in and out of the hive but disperse fairly widely within a short distance of the hive. They are busy on the flowers not the air.
My son kept his bees in the back yard and the only time I really noticed more bees was when I was picking the raspberries about 6 to 10 feet from the hive.
Has anyone tried a solar air heater on the south side of the hive box to keep them warm and help them move about more on sunny days? It might reduce starvation when there is still honey in the hive.

Status
Not open for further replies.