New house, first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewcarter

Dec 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hi all

New poster here. I am completing on a farm this Friday, and the house comes complete with three stoves, including this bad boy.

I have no idea how to work this thing. Any suggestions on lighting, maintaining heat, safety etc.

E.g. I am that stupid that I presume I put the wood in the bottom!!!

For safety, I've purchased just about the best carbon monoxide detector I can find to live next to it...

Also, does anyone have any background/ history to this type of stove?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IS-eehe36tnkti5.jpg
    IS-eehe36tnkti5.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 158
These are not for heat as much as for cooking, although they will provide heat. The fireboxes are quite small.

It looks like you really have to start from scratch - for example, the floor protection underneath does not look good enough. ALL that info and more is on this site and can be found in our info section and by various searches.

The stove looks like a fairly standard wood cooking stove - chances are that it has a name on the door or elsewhere, but the maker is probably long out of business. Still, many of these stoves work in a similar fashion and you can probably figure it out....

My suggestions are:

1. Decide if you really want all three stoves - or do you want to get rid of one or two and perhaps update any to newer models? If you post pics of the others we can give you an idea of age....

2. Have the chimneys and installations professionally inspected - chances are that everything is not right! Make it so before you burn anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.