New house new fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calron

Aug 9, 2014
Canada
So I just bought my first home and it has a wood insert. I grew up with wood fire places but this one is very different. There were two white boards inside on top of two rails (see pic below). I have never encountered something like this be for. Do I leave the boards in or do I keep them out ? Also the only flu I have been able to find is on the lower left of the fire place. Guess I grew up in the sticks, we always had a flu on top. Well any help I can get on this beast would be appreciated. All comments welcome.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4 (2).JPG photo 5 (1).JPG

This is a more modern design. The two white boards are the baffle. They are critical to the design of the stove. These boards are fragile. Be careful in handling or they will need to be replaced. The insert looks like it needs some attention. The center burn tube is sagging and may not have much more time before it needs to be replaced. The firebrick doesn't look too bad. The door gasket should be tested for sealing by closing it on a dollar bill and then tugging the dollar bill out. It should offer some resistance when pulling. Check the door at multiple places along its perimeter.

Is there a liner on the stove or was it installed as a slammer without any liner or stub above the damper? The chimney should be cleaned, inspected and assessed by a pro that provides you with a condition report.

Note that this stove is going to want fully seasoned wood to perform well.

Status
Not open for further replies.