New Install and dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Dtvman

Feb 5, 2012
East Bay of Rhode Island
Last friday I took day off to install the pellet stove which I bought from an older person that he used it for a one ton use. Came with all the pipes expect I was 10 feet short which I bought a connector and 10 feet of chimney liner and a new chimney cap. After doing a lot of reading I laid out all the parts out days before so friday. It was a breeze to install. After removing my wood insert it took me and my friend less than 2 hours to install and getting it running.

I really like it. It's a lot easier than stacking and moving wood, also cleaning the wood stove. I didn't have any free wood so I had to pay for it. I had bought 2 cords of wood at the begining of the season for $450 which didn't last long. Between the oil bill for 2 months and the 2 cords of wood my heating bill was $952. (Not happy)

Getting back to the pellet stove it's a Beckwell P22I insert and I'm very happy with it, I know it's not a high end product but works great and looks good too. I bought a ton of Maines Premium pellets for $219 a ton. I've been running it at night while in bed, I leave it on the lowest setting which eats up a half a 40 pound bag and 12 hours during the day at medium and uses 3/4 of a bag.

I've read the book 3 to 4 times and I understand how the unit works, What gets me is that the front glass gets dirty fast. After cleaning it, it get dirty about 2 hours of use. I've tried playing with the damper. Pulling the damper out a 1/4 of the way is where the stove works the best

First of all, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the "new" stove.

IMO, the first thing I would have done before the install (while the unit could be outdoors), would have been to do a thorough cleaning.

As for the dirty glass, that may or may not be a result of not doing the cleaning. Then again, there are many stoves that don't have a great airwash system for keeping the glass clear. You might want to do a search on the forum using the model number......see if any other users had that problem.

The clue you provided is that you run it on low over night, that will dirty the glass quicker. But the question is how dirty is dirty to you? Compared to us? The bottom line, all pellet stoves glass get dirty. It could be just fine, or the air wash openings are restricted.

I did clean it before installing it of what there was to clean. This stove was just like new the old owner only burned a ton of pellets last year. I quess I'm use to a wood stove where the glass didn't have streak marks. Also didn't see anything in the manual about air wash system.

4Dtvman said:
I did clean it before installing it of what there was to clean. This stove was just like new the old owner only burned a ton of pellets last year......

So you took both blowers out of the stove and cleaned them and also removed any ash trap doors so you could vacuum inside the stove? Then re-installed the combustion blower with a new gasket, and re-assembled the rest?

The reason I'm mentioning this is 1 ton of pellets is normally the time for a stove to have a full, deep cleaning done as i mentioned above.

BTW, why did the person sell the stove?

Cleaned everything the manual said but did not remove any motors.

The son of the older gentlemen told me after his mother died he could do much of anything...........sad

4Dtvman said:
Cleaned everything the manual said but did not remove any motors......

You removed all 4 ash trap doors and baffle plates and cleaned up inside them with a brush and a vacuum? Banging on the STEEL back wall of a pellet stove with a small hammer or mallet will dislodge a lot of ash usually too(DON'T do this if the firebox walls are cast metal.

Pgs. 20 + 21 of the owners manual specifically talk about removing the blowers and cleaning them EVERY TON ("Periodically the blowers should be vacuumed clean as these ashes can impede performance. Creosote can also accumulate in the combustion blower. This needs to be brushed clean.") That should include cleaning as much of the exhaust passages connected to the comb. blower as possible.

P. 2 specifically mentions a dirty stove resulting in sooting of the glass ("Any blockage of the air supply to or from the stove will seriously degrade its performance and will be evidenced by a smoking exhaust and a sooting window").

No offense, but you need to read the manual a little better. 80% of pellet stove problems result from the stove being dirty inside.

Don't be too surprised when you clean the crap out of it(ltterally) and it still dirties your glass on the lower heat settings. The breckwells aren't noted to have a decent air wash system.

To be honest with you, I would not worry about the dirty glass, it happens. I have 2 stoves, I keep them clean, but the glass always gets dirty. The good news, with clean or dirty glass they still keep us warm.

Tom C.

dtaylor said:
silverfox103 said:
The good news, with clean or dirty glass they still keep us clean.

Tom C.

Since when did a pellet stove come with a shower feature?
You mean warm i hope... ;)

I don't know what I was thinking, I meant (and have corrected) warm.

Tom C.

Status
Not open for further replies.