New install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jocko

Jul 5, 2015
Monessen, Pennsylvania
few questions on my new install setup. I have a summers heat 2200sqft stove. I'm doing a corner install set on 45 (see photos) planning to come off the stove with the small adapter, into a 45 to kick me to the wall and then a 3' piece through a thimble to get outside with an end cap. The stove has a powered vent so I can stay horizontal and not have to run vertical for the natural draft.

Here are my questions

1. Do I need to use the high temp caulking?
2. Do I need a clean out T, if so can it go outside or is inside best?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm a wood burner guy at home so this pellet stove is all foreign to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 286
Read manufacturers install directions for your piping. Some require it some don't. I sealed mine around the outside joint inside the house just to make sure no gasses would get into house.
Even though u have powered vent without the couple of feet of up pipe outside. You will have no natural draft in the event of power failure. Smoke may back up into your home.
You do not need the clean out if your just running strait out. Any ash Wil mostly just exit the pipe

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jocko
Most manufactures recommend min 3' of rise. We installed 100's of stove straight out before the rise was recommended.

JMHO...I would go thru the wall to a clean out T, and then 2 or 3 ft vertical. If will supply a little extra draft in the event of a power failure, and lessen the possibility of smoke in the house. Seal all inside connections with high temp RTV. Quality foil tape will work. Usually need RTV at the appliance adaptor, (first piece of pipe that attaches to the stove), so once the tube is open, might as well use it. You’ll also want some sealant for where the pipe goes thru the thimble. Don’t forget about your OAK. Without outside air you’re removing heated air from the house....causing a negative pressure and sucking cold air in any cracks and crevices.

Thank you all for the info, got everything installed, now just need to figure out how to keep the damn thing running constantly. Had to start a new thread for some info on that one.

Hi all,

New to the forum and had a few questions for a similar setup. I am about to install a pellet stove and was wondering what the pros and cons would be of having a cleanout tee inside or outside. I am leaning towards having a few feet of straight inside the house, including the cleanout, and a couple feet of horizontal to get through the wall; does anyone have a setup similar to this? The stove manufacturer recommends 3 feet of vertical pipe and I also think it makes sense, but I want to have as much inside my house to avoid an eyesore outside.

Also looking for some input on the best location to locate my new stove. I am going to put it in my dining room which is right next to the living room where I spend the most time and would like to get more heat, but am stuck what the best location is. I can put it in the corner of the room, which is near a window and points directly at me, but is the further away. I also could put it closer to the living room, but this is not facing the living room per se, and this is right in a large opening in the room with a wall about 12 feet in front of it. My main fear is the fan will push all the hot air right into that wall and it won’t distribute through the house, see picture for clarity.

Anyone’s input is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 3C5B6FAE-9BB3-445B-935E-8BD37A8ADAC5.jpeg
    3C5B6FAE-9BB3-445B-935E-8BD37A8ADAC5.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 189