new member, reduce 8 inch chimney to 6?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Daniel S

Oct 4, 2022
Lancaster Ohio
I think this is a grandpa. paid $500.I have read to reduce the 8 inch down to 6 inch right of the top of stove. This is going into pool barn 24 x 40 with 10' ceiling and not insulated yet. Should I reduce to 6 inch? Curious what year it is. I use to have a wood burner and can't wait to fire this thing up.

20221003_172515.jpg 20221003_172442.jpg 20221003_172609.jpg

Probably a Grandpa but need measurement across top. Are doors marked with GP/L and GP/R inside?

This fabricator later made the XL, a rare larger stove called the restaurant model that had features such as bent corners in front, arched door tops, and preceded the redesigned stoves for 1980. This one was probably made in 1978. It has the newer version of 5 fin dampers, plated spring handles instead of the older stainless, and handles were longer and bent facing forward soon after this time period. It also has a version of the Fireplace Legs that was used on the XL. The larger XL also had 10 inch outlet.

It is technically against code to reduce vent size smaller than stove outlet. If the pipe and chimney is straight up, 6 inch normally works, is much cheaper and more efficient than 8. You won’t get full BTU, but most stoves are not ran at full output anyway.

This model (Grandpa I) did not have a factory baffle plate. All bets are off with this fabricator, so it could be a forerunner of what was to come in 1980. It would be advisable to install a baffle if none exists. There is a thread in sticky section at top of Fisher Forum home page for baffle design.

That’s a normal size Grandpa. Since they are marked normal Grandpa doors I can tell by the width of front plate from door edge to corner. The inside should fit 6 full bricks across the back.

I looked up a couple owners of the XL stove numbers. That stove number is right within the consecutive numbers when the XL started in ‘78.