New Mount Vernon AE initial startup problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfpark

Jan 6, 2015
Annapolis, MD
I have a brand new just out of the crate Mt vernon AE manufactured 4/08. I was given the current model #'s for the Main board and thermostat and they match.

I cant get the stove to complete an ignition cycle. It light but doesn't seem to kick in and drop enough pellets to stay lit. I have it set to manual and the temp is cranked up. The flame setting is on high until I get it to light and will adjust. I have gotten it to go through SS Low and SS med by manually opening the door and adding pellets. It goes to Man H but unless I manually add it dies down and goes out. I can see the auger turning consistently clockwise. When I add a half cup of pellets it burns like it should for a few minutes and does feed pellets but not enough??? then it dies down and goes out and says low burn temp. Goes to shut down, clean and re attempts. I understand it needs to prime the chute at first but how much??

Any help would be awesome!!!

Al

By throwing a handful of pellets in pot, it should run long enough to start feeding pellets. Are you sure you are on the right fuel setting for what you are burning? And by flame setting on high, do you mean +5? kap

What are you burning?

I am burning pellets. American wood fibers soft pine. It burns fine if i put a half cup in the pot and drops a pellet or two here and there and just dies down.

Take a mirror and flashlight and look up the drop chute from firebox. See if there is any bridging of fuel, or a blockage up there. kap

How are you looking at the auger? If lyou are looking at it from the motor end, yes it turns clockwise. kap

Yes looking at it from the motor right side of stove from the front.
I looked up there with a mirror and its clear up to the auger rod from the pot.

I know 2 different stove but I have had a castile since 01 and the amount of pellets dropping is nowhere near what I am used to seeing especially on start up. The burn and blower in the pot seems good because if I dump a cup in the pot it burns like crazy and burns a cupfull off in a matter of minutes.

Sorry. Didn't see the post about dial till just now. Yes, 0 is correct, and lights are fine.

It should feed for over a minute on initial feed.

The igniter will come on for a minute and a half before it starts its initial feed

Last edited:
You may have to pull the auger and see if the set screw is holding auger tight to shaft. Also check connections on auger wire harness and optical sensor harness.

Did you install new control board and wall control?

Heard something it went from startup to autoclean and back into startup. The ignitor is cherry red again and still no pellet drop.
It will try three times to start a fire, before it errors out.

Heard something it went from startup to autoclean and back into startup. The ignitor is cherry red again and still no pellet drop.
Is auger turning at all right now?

the auger just kicked on and spun and dropped so little pellets I can barely see them with the door closed then stopped looks like waiting on ignition.

That could be right. There are more in the pot then you can see because of angle.

Just saw your post about the control board and stat. I didnt install new. It came with the same #'s you had mentioned to me as good on another post.
stat is 7000-451 rev d and board is 7000-456 rev c

Just saw your post about the control board and stat. I didnt install new. It came with the same #'s you had mentioned to me as good on another post.
stat is 7000-451 rev d and board is 7000-456 rev c
Yep. Good ones.

Did you buy from dealer or on line? Any warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.