New Old Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fruitfarmer496

Jan 11, 2018
Northern Michigan
The stove we were using had a crack develop in the glass door, making it unusable temporarily. We had a backup stove a 1977 VC Vigilant that hasn't been used in decades. I have done some reading, and am a bit confused as to operation, not sure which is the primary and which is the secondary air inlet. There is a thrermostatic inlet control little door attached to chain and coil/lever on back left side and on the lower left side a port with a sliding cover that provides air via a tube at the rear of the firebox. Recommendations have been to leave this open and insure the openings at the rear of the firebox are clear.

I have some questions about maintenance. I have run a steel 1/4" rod a ram rod, without any kind of wire brush in through the port/hole in the left side nearly 3/4 the length of the fire box. Not sure whether it should pass entirely through or that the end is sealed so that air entry can only occur through the holes at the rear of the firebox.

Think I understand that stove should reach 500 F. prior to closing off the dampner and rerouting exhaust.

Anything you can add would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: