New Osburn Stratford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The room is 16X32 with a 21 foot high cathedral ceiling and two 12x12 open lofts, so a whole lot of cubic feet. At the thermostat for the furnace, which is on the wall opposite the fireplace, the temperature was consistently 72 degrees and up to 75 degrees. I don't have any idea what the temp at the blower was since I go by how the secondaries are burning when cutting back the air. The wood I am using is a mix of hard maple and cherry which has been css for two years. I've been burning for heat in two houses since 1995 and have never measured moisture content of the wood. I was considering a moisture meter after reading your posts, but at this point it doesn't seem necessary. I do have a lot of white oak that is three foot diameter at the base and red oak that is over four foot diameter at the base and has been down for two years to process. I may get a moisture meter to monitor that wood when it is css.
Glad to hear its working well. Similar temps for me also. I do have open concept with vaulted ceilings as well. Not quite as tall tho. Getting around 4.5 hrs totalof burns with at least 3.5 hrs of secondary burns. Made a big difference cutting down the draft. I only have ash at the moment. I do have a bunch of oak but it's not ready yet. But everyone I've talked to says that oak, cherry, walnut and hickory burns longer and hotter. With try and locate some and try it out. Thanks for you information