NEW P43 making noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
Just had my P43 installed 2.5 weeks ago. I have only burned about 4 bags of pellets. I am noticing a thunking like noise every once in an while... Is this just part of the breaking in process or should I be calling the dealer?

What you may be hearing is a pellet getting split or crushed. It happens more frequently if the pellets are extra long.

What you may be hearing is a pellet getting split or crushed. It happens more frequently if the pellets are extra long.

hmmmmmmm never heard that before in my Afton Bay. It would be that loud? I can hear it sometimes from the other room.

Maybe post a video...pellet chomping can be loud, my P61a makes some big thunk noises when the pellets are long, it could also be the metal expanding a bit too.

Maybe post a video...pellet chomping can be loud, my P61a makes some big thunk noises when the pellets are long, it could also be the metal expanding a bit too.
It would be hard because I never know when it's gonna happen. It doesn't happen everytime I have a fire. Right now in RI it's acting like shoulder season still so I don't have a fire all the time. Last week it was in the 70's so didn't burn at all. lololol.....

Reactions: Washed-Up
hmmmmmmm never heard that before in my Afton Bay. It would be that loud? I can hear it sometimes from the other room.
It may be just a Harman thing. The way the slide plate in the hopper moves can sometimes catch the pellet just right and split it making a noticeable bang. It gets your attention.

It may be just a Harman thing. The way the slide plate in the hopper moves can sometimes catch the pellet just right and split it making a noticeable bang. It gets your attention.
That is correct. It will "bang". Yes my Harman does it also, along with the "tinkle" of pellets dropping..

Reactions: jackman
Mine doesn't do it often but a couple of times it was loud enough for me to jump out of my chair. I would think what you're hearing is normal pellet splitting by the slide plate.
Ron

You wouldn't hear that particular sound from the Afton Bay because it's a top feed stove.

Reactions: Ssyko
My P61a will occasionally "thunk" real loud when the auger snaps off a long pellet too. Watched it do it today on a relight. Makes a good bang! Depends on how hard the pellets are too.

Just had my P43 installed 2.5 weeks ago. I have only burned about 4 bags of pellets. I am noticing a thunking like noise every once in an while... Is this just part of the breaking in process or should I be calling the dealer?
This is my 11th year with my p43. It is definitely the pellet being split/crushed. Happens all the time.