New pellet stove owner, looking for opinions on pellets for this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roussjp

Jun 18, 2022
Central CT
Hello, I'm new here and to owning a pellet stove. I decided to get a Harman P43 to replace a very old wood stove that was in my house when I bought it. The pellet stove is in the basement of my ~1150sq ft ranch and as the ceiling is not insulated I'm hoping to use it to warm the basement up as well as provide some heat for upstairs. The stove was a pretty easy choice but selecting what pellets to order has been much more difficult. I created a spreadsheet after doing some research of pellets that generally seem to be liked along with the current prices various CT pellet dealers are selling them for. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering ordering 3 tons this year and I'd like to get at least one hardwood and one softwood to compare. Thanks in advance!

Pellet Spreadsheet.PNG

My go-to is Cubix very hot and clean-burning
Have used Ambiance, not as hot and has more ash
I am told Hamer's are a top hardwood but never been able to get any
Have used Granules but do not like softwood light fluffy ash that gets everywhere when cleaning
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
My father in law has been using Hamers for quite a few years now. He thinks they are great.

Sorry I don't have first hand experience but I do trust his opinion.

I have burned Vermonts in my Harman for a few years now. Based on the prices you show, that would be my choice. The thing I like most about them? I clean my stove every other week. I scrape the burn pot a few times a week, vacuum every other week! I would definitely try a few and see what you like best. Harmans aren’t picky.

I'm having a Harmon Accentra 52i installed in November and I'm in the market for pellets now. I see roussjp has Drycreek listed as 'recommended'. I just read some terrible reviews for Drycreek. It seems they were once good, but have suffered serious quality issues recently.

Have had a P43 since 2013. The past few years I've found Vermont's to be the best heat output for the cost. I hear Matra's are just as good. Harman's burn most pellets well. Usually better pellets produce hotter heat outpu so with a cheaper pellet you'd use more to keep the house at the desired temp negating any cost savings. Overall it comes down to desired temp you need/want, how well the house is insulated and airflow in the house.

Sam

Cubix would be my choice from that list. As I get older with a bit more scratch in my pockets I have been gravitating to the pellets with the least amount of soot and ash. Less cleaning. I burned my first ton of Cleanfire doug firs... I was amazed at the lack of ash. I could burn 12 bags and still have a less than full ashtray. Normal pellets would fill in 3 bags. 500 dollars a ton is a luxury so I am now stuck with the Cleanfire superiors, 8800. I tried the LaCrete's before. Not bad, just not worth the extra price. I was underwhelmed.

Hello, I'm new here and to owning a pellet stove. I decided to get a Harman P43 to replace a very old wood stove that was in my house when I bought it. The pellet stove is in the basement of my ~1150sq ft ranch and as the ceiling is not insulated I'm hoping to use it to warm the basement up as well as provide some heat for upstairs. The stove was a pretty easy choice but selecting what pellets to order has been much more difficult. I created a spreadsheet after doing some research of pellets that generally seem to be liked along with the current prices various CT pellet dealers are selling them for. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering ordering 3 tons this year and I'd like to get at least one hardwood and one softwood to compare. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 296343
been burning Matra for past 5 years... Canadian softwood.. over 8800 btu..super low ash.
able to keep feed rate down to #2 and not lose any heat output while using less pellets.
only pellets hotter would be douglas firs from Oregon but shipping costs has skyrocketed..
Hamers not what the used to be. very coarse black ash. La Crete very good for a softie.
I would stay away from box store stock.. low 8K BTU and mounds of ash but 259.00 ton is the draw for those that buy box store stuff like HD, Lowes, walmart, tractor supply etc..
if price is not an issue would go with Matra.

Reactions: HeatMinder