New pipe setup - please critique

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I finally got around to playing with my stove pipe angle. The initial installation was straight up out the top of the stove, a hard right angle, and then straight to the wall. The result was poor draft and creosote buildup in the 90 degree elbow. I've softened it to a larger angle and rise to the wall. I've included a picture of the old and new setup. The pyro in me says light it up. The more reserved part of me wants a few opinions as to whether it looks alright. Please take a look and let me know if this looks alright.

thanks

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 657
That looks right orderly to me. Nice job and setting for the stove. How is it burning now?

Got a little more screwing to do since I just put it together enough to get some feedback, but otherwise I'm ready to go. I'm hoping this does the trick.

Rudy it would not hurt to runa bead or gasket cement on the corrigated end first before fully insertion then screw it together/.

Looking at the before tha horizintal section looked like it was not pitched up no wonder you had issues This will be a good improvement in draft and stove response.

Good job That Popular aught to burn great now

elkimmeg said:
Rudy it would not hurt to runa bead or gasket cement on the corrigated end first before fully insertion then screw it together/.

Looking at the before tha horizintal section looked like it was not pitched up no wonder you had issues This will be a good improvement in draft and stove response.

Good job That Popular aught to burn great now

Thats what i thought the first time i seen the 90° set up that it lacked the 1/4" per foot pitch. The picture looked like it was actually going down hill vs up.
I'm sure it will draft "better" than the way it was 90° before.
Seasoned wood and not over loaded - dampered down stove will solve most of any creosote issue.
Looks good. FIRE IT UP !
( of corse after is screwed together )

Looks like a substantial improvement. If you had to, shortening the pipe on top of the stove would even make even better draft - if you are not running into any clearance issues.

Corey

Revisiting - You know, I think the 2 45's installation actually looks nicer. I used to be a firm single 90 kind of guy. You know, the less joints the better. But the softer angle look is really nice. I'm converted. Hope SenorFrog is reading this thread, this is what you might want to try.

BeGreen said:
Revisiting - You know, I think the 2 45's installation actually looks nicer. I used to be a firm single 90 kind of guy. You know, the less joints the better. But the softer angle look is really nice. I'm converted. Hope SenorFrog is reading this thread, this is what you might want to try.

If you read my thread you'd know the installers tried this and it would not work because of the distance the wall thimble sticks out.

Senor Frog: It would have worked, but you installers did not want to cut the pipes at angles, Ihis can only be done with single wall pipe
I think it could work with double wall pipe but crinpers would be needed to fit the pieces together

elkimmeg said:
Senor Frog: It would have worked, but you installers did not want to cut the pipes at angles, Ihis can only be done with single wall pipe
I think it could work with double wall pipe but crinpers would be needed to fit the pieces together

I was there when they installed. They had 2 45's. They hooked everything up with 2 45's, but did not screw it together. The length the wall thimble jets out + the length of wall thimble to stove pipe adapter + the length the 45 itself adds saved maybe 6 - 12 inches of horizontal run.

Re the double wall, I thought it was not supposed to be cut, that's why they have adjustable lengths.

Rudy,

I'd be really interested in knowing whether you see a marked improvement in the draft. I have the same set up that you used to have, and I've always felt I'm not getting the best draft that I could. I've often thought about changing to the 2-45 degree option, but never actually gone with it. If you say you get a noticeable improvement, it's off to the stove store for new pipe for me. I also like the look - a little different and adds some interest to the install.

It is single wall 6" pipe. The initial school of thought was to use 2 45's, but that would have involved slanting the pipe out of the stove only 12" out of the top of the stove. It would have blown my wall to stove pipe clearance. What I ended up doing was an adjustable 45 out of the thimble. I adjusted it to the smallest angle possible, so it's more like a 30 degree angle. The goal was to just get a gentle slope down from the thimble. Then it slopes down to an adjustable 90 degree elbow that is opened up to more like 120 so it's also a softer. Then it's about 18" down to the stove. The only downside it that is has a lot more joints than I'd like. Since it was such a major pain in the butt to put together, I used adjustable single wall sections while I was playing with the angle, so those have joints too. It's not exactly a pretty setup. It looks alright from the side, but from straight on, it looks like a broken nose.

It's too bad I could just use the 45 rear exit out of the stove. That would have made for a much cleaner look. It's a nice idea, but the stove has to be half a mile from the rear wall to make it work. I'll try this out this year, and then redo it with double wall next year if it's good.

I like the way the stove and the venting setup looks. I hear ya on the number of joints but hope it works great.

Will you update this post after a few fires re the performance of new setup?

I have a similiar config to your old 90.

Thanks,

Yeah, once it gets cold enough to light up, I'll post the results. I think we're finally going to get into the lower 30's this week, so I'll have my chance. Just hope the new setup backfires on me and I end up with a smoker. hee hee.

Status
Not open for further replies.