New quad!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbomb7124@gmail.

Oct 4, 2017
Mexico
So I grew up on wood heat from 3 years old to 30 years old I’ve always had wood. Back when I was young 8 or so years old I started helping my dad rebuild stoves for Vermont casting Dutch west and a few other brands I can’t remember anymore haha . He was the leading tech in the northern half of ny so he stayed pretty busy back in the 90s. Last spring I bought a house and it came with an Alaska Channing 3 coal stove in the living room. I burnt it for the first winter and found coal to be great heat but very dirty and messy also did not like the lack of control of the heat . I had previously bought my father a pellet stove a few years ago and he loves the ease of use vs cord wood , Now that he is older .So I sold my coal stove and am now waiting on my new quad mt Vernon ae. To be installed at the end of the month . Very excited to get back to a form of wood heat ,won’t be the same as cord wood but it’s damn close . Bought the bronze mt v at a reputable dealer local to me . Got 2k off with a renewable energy grant from the state which was nice . Only thing is I have to have them install it to satisfy the grant writers otherwise it would be in already. Can’t wait to sit back and relax in front of our new quad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
So I grew up on wood heat from 3 years old to 30 years old I’ve always had wood. Back when I was young 8 or so years old I started helping my dad rebuild stoves for Vermont casting Dutch west and a few other brands I can’t remember anymore haha . He was the leading tech in the northern half of ny so he stayed pretty busy back in the 90s. Last spring I bought a house and it came with an Alaska Channing 3 coal stove in the living room. I burnt it for the first winter and found coal to be great heat but very dirty and messy also did not like the lack of control of the heat . I had previously bought my father a pellet stove a few years ago and he loves the ease of use vs cord wood , Now that he is older .So I sold my coal stove and am now waiting on my new quad mt Vernon ae. To be installed at the end of the month . Very excited to get back to a form of wood heat ,won’t be the same as cord wood but it’s damn close . Bought the bronze mt v at a reputable dealer local to me . Got 2k off with a renewable energy grant from the state which was nice . Only thing is I have to have them install it to satisfy the grant writers otherwise it would be in already. Can’t wait to sit back and relax in front of our new quad!

Jbomb, hope you enjoy the stove. I had a Quad Mt. Vernon AE installed in March 2011. My first. Now can't imagine a winter without it. I'm sure you're is a lot different, at least electronically.

Noticed you're posting from Mexico. Can you give us in the states some idea regarding types of pellets, prices, service, etc. Thank you.

That’s Mexico NY. Lol so I am going to run dry creek that I got for 230 a ton. As far as service goes the place I bought it is Sundance leisure in Watertown NY knowledgeable staff there: I hear tractor supply has ok pellets but my father has some from 2 years ago and the size is rather long

Went and payed off stove today and found out it may be installed sooner than expected. My current install date is 11/1/17 they told me they are trying to reschedule some other installs due the requirements of the epa making them be certified by nyserda to do the installs. I guess they have three installers that are certified and two whom are not so they are moving appointments around to free up the certified installers to get the nyserda stoves installed first. More then likely because they don’t get the kickbacks from the state grant until the stove is installed and signed off by the homeowner. Regardless of reason I’ll be glad to not have to wait too much longer to watch the flames .. oddly enough it was 78 here today .. quite warm for northern ny this time of year haha

I hope you have many years of problem free heat with your new stove. Your manual will be your best friend for a long time. Learn as much as you can about your stoves operations. And remember, a clean stove is a happy stove. Stay warm. kap

Reactions: rich2500
Will post some pictures when it arrives this is the stove I took out e4a2fbc6d0afd12c689f0a01220b33fa.jpg

12hrs till install can’t wait. Got a call at 10am today asking if I could be home between 12and 3 because they had a cancellation and wanted to do it today but I go to apprenticeship classes on Tuesdays so tomorrow is the day. Looking forward to getting back to that nice dry heat. Although the weather has been rather warm for the last 3 weeks. Been seeing 60 70 and even 80s when we should see 50 60 for a high.

What do you plan on burning for fuel?

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG

Stove installed took them 6.5 hrs to do full install very happy with the quality of work. They had to make two steel plates to expand the size of the thimble due to the previous installed stove . As for my burning plan I have two ton of hardwood pellets one dry creek and one ambients. I don’t really have any plan on the use of other types of fuel at this point. Pellets are the cheapest solid fuel in this area the stove is surprisingly quiet. It’s 41 and raining and it sure is nice to have nice dry heat again.

Sounds like they did a quality job on the install. Enjoy your heat and quiet performance. Time to do some reading. kap