New Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catdriver

Nov 9, 2017
Haines, AK
I just purchased and installed my new pellet stove. I am new to the pellet stove world, so I'm looking for good operating tips from those of you who have experience. I live in a small town in Alaska, and bought my stove over the phone and had it barged to me, therefore I wasn't able to really talk to a dealer or visit a showroom. A couple questions: Depending on pellets, it says to clean ash every 5 bags. But how much ash is too much in the bottom? Can it build up a bit to like the top of burn pot? Also wondering about flame height. Directions say 8" tall. I haven't noticed much difference between -1, 0, and +1. Flame will briefly go about 2/3 of the way up the baffle and will then die down, sometimes barely to the top of the burn pot, then build back up. I guess this is normal? Also does anyone run in Auto mode? I haven't found that I like this mode because unless the temperature really falls, it never comes off of low, and then runs forever. I've found manual/medium to work better to hold temps. I guess I wish this mode worked a little better or was programmed differently. Other than that, the stove works awesomely and so far I'm liking the pellet experience over cord wood. Thanks for any info or tips.

Welcome to the forum. Your best friend right now is your manual. A clean stove is a happy stove. Follow cleaning procedures often. And manual is the best option for good heat. Sometimes it takes a bit of a break in period for the flames to get right. Make sure you are on the right fuel table for the fuel you are burning. Sometimes utility setting is better then hardwood. You will have to play with the flame height, to see what works for getting flame right. There are a lot of u tube videos on how to do things too. Stay warm. kap

Thanks for the reply Kap. I read the manual well, and will follow it. Just seemed a little vague on some things. I was maybe mislead on the flame height as I did watch all the youtube vids from Quadrafire and they show this big ball of flame up and over the baffle on their videos but then say 8" in their manual.

In the beginning, they said the flame should be licking the top of the diamond. Now they are saying a little more is ok. If the manual doesn't answer a question you have, ask away on here. Lots of knowledgeable people on here. Stay warm. kap