New refrigeration or wishful thinking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This makes me want to try cutting and storing ice here, especially with our mild summers.

Great article. I thought those ice blocks had to be heavy. A sled full of them would weigh a lot.

"By the late 1880s, ice was the second largest export in the United States, behind cotton. By 1886, 25 million tons were cut and stored or shipped in the U.S. To put things into perspective, one acre of ice at over 12-inches thick would yield about 1,000 tons — a football field is just over one acre in area." :ZZZ

The last statement puts the emphasis on why addressing refrigeration is so important.

"Unfortunately, the ice harvesting business would not fare well in this era of changes in climate. In the past, my grandparents usually had 16 to 18 inches of lake ice and continued extreme cold temperatures by the first week of January.
We now seldom exceed 12 inches on the Richardson ponds for the event in the last week of January, and in the past few years, we have experienced near 40-degree temperatures on event days."

Think about India and China coming online. Think about virtually every car these days has AC. Think about where populations are growing and how they are going to deal with warmer summer temps.

Last edited:
We used to do that. Still have the ice saw. But the deep dug cold room under the house is pretty good just for being in the ground and the wife insisted on an electric fridge upstairs. So we modified an upright freezer.
I miss the sawdust around the ice.