EatenByLimestone Posted By EatenByLimestone, Jul 9, 2019 at 5:23 PM

1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Had the old one torn off and an unused chimney dropped. I would have liked to put metal up, but the rest of the neighborhood is either slate or asphalt. We went with Owens Corning Duration Sierra Grey.

https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/shingles/trudefinition-duration/?color=sierra-gray

The wife thinks it's a bit light in color, but the upstairs is much cooler. She'll come around. Best part was the price, $4800. I was expecting double.

Now to get cellulose blown in where the chimney was and then look into siding.

With the chimney down my 9/12 roof faces directly south and is unobstructed. That may set me up for solar if the calculations ever work out favorably.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a great price for a roof job. I was wondering about their Energy Star rating. Good deal if it keeps upstairs cooler.

What solar quotes have you gotten?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I haven't had any quotes yet. Before I poke holes in the new roof I want to reside the house and tear out the ceiling of my upstairs to foam it. I wish I knew about foam (at least half the knowledge I have on it now) back when I finished off up there. Conservation has always made more sense to me than trying to chase power production. Not that personal power production is bad.

I have to admit I'd be more interested in solar if I could drop the electrical grid entirely. Batteries should be improving soon. My pitch is 36°, my latitude is 42° so I'm not too far off ideal.

4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    The next lighter roof shade had an energy star rating. Shasta white. I felt I'd be pushing marital bliss with that choice though.

5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    New York state has good solar incentives. Might be worth pricing out before the new tariffs kick in.

6. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    The tough part of that is system size. I don't use much electricity. My bill came in last month at 170kwh. Most months I'm below 250kwh. I checked my cost with the fees added in and it's .22/kWh. That hurts, but that's mostly due to a base charge not getting spread out over lots of usage. The electric half of my bill totaled $38.77.

How much could solar save me? It's not too hard to imagine a hundred dollar/month finance payment that would save me $40/month. I'd love to kick the utility to the curb, but we're not there yet.

7. Where2

Where2
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2013
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Give us your base charge $. PV Watts suggested your straight costs on electricity is around $0.12/kWh. However, I don't know if that includes all the transmission fees and other tack on costs??

A 4kW system, in Schenectady, NY at 36° tilt, and presumably 180° (south) facing, using a 15% derating (85% system efficiency) produces the following numbers in PV Watts:
    January=323kWh
    February=414kWh
    March=483kWh
    April=477kWh
    May=508kWh
    June=504kWh
    July=526kWh
    August=519kWh
    September=488kWh
    October=366kWh
    November=308kWh
    December=260kWh
    Annual Total = 5,136kWh

If your electricity no longer cost you what it currently costs, If electricity only cost you the base charge, no matter how much you needed, what would you change about your home? Would you consider adding a mini-split for heating in shoulder seasons, and cooling in the summer?

8. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    My list of delivery charges for 170kwh of usage:

Basic service: 17.00
    Next 7 are based on usage:
    Delivery 9.48
    SBC .86
    Legacy transition charge .31
    RDM (negative charge) -.41
    Transmission rev adj .07
    Tariff surcharge .56
    Sales tax 1.11

Total 28.98

The supply charges for my 170kwh are:
    Electricity supply 6.05
    Merchant function .35
    Esrm 3.01
    Sales tax .38

Total 9.79

September 18 was my highest energy usage last year at 289kwh.

If electricity wasn't going to cost anything I would probably convert my clothes dryer and stove to electric from natural gas. Well, maybe not the stove as my wife needs high btu for cooking. Electric elements dont cut it. A minisplit wouldn't get much consideration. I don't have much cooling needs. My house is cooled by a combined 11k btus of window units downstairs, and I think it's 15k upstairs. Heating is similarly small. My modcon boiler produces between 13 and 45k btu at 194 degrees. I tuned the boiler and the max temp is 155F I think. My house is normal sized for my area, but I've tweaked things here and there to make it efficient.

Right now I am on the budget plan with my utility. They charge me $109/mo. That's full heating cost. Since I switched to NG I don't burn wood at the house anymore. The chimney taken down was the woodstove chimney. I need to move the stove to where the old boiler was and line the interior chimney. I want the stove to stay as backup. Lovely ice storms and such...

9. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Our electric usage is about double of what yours is. I've done the numbers a couple times and the numbers just don't add up to justify the cost of solar. I'd love to do solar so I can become more self sufficient. If my wife and I bought an electric car then maybe it would make sense. I'd have to run the numbers though.

Instead, I opted to "lease" 5 solar panels from the electric company for 5 years at a fixed per KWh rate. You can now "lease" up to 10 panels. I need to call them and see if that will renew my current 5 year contract or will it start again. I see the solar panels as a hedge against rising electric costs too.

10. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    Electric supply corp. are fast becoming worse than car stealerships, latest being charging you a fee every month based on what you might have used without the solar.

SpaceBus likes this.