New Stihl followed me home today..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
18" bar, should be a nice saw for me, and a pleasant upgrade from the 20 year old saw I've been using. 20171102_163040.jpg

That is very nice. I think I want one now.

Congrats, sod. Nice new tool. What size bar have you been using?

Thanks Ed, been using a 16" jumped to a 18" to keep my back a little straighter.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Thanks Ed, been using a 16" jumped to a 18" to keep my back a little straighter.
Nice. I'm always looking for ways to bend over less. So much time is spent bent over in the garden, which can't be avoided.

The saw I use most often has a 20" bar, which is way too much for 90% of what I cut. I'm contemplating getting an 18" bar. I'd love to have 2" less to sharpen and more power per inch.

Congratulations, 261s are great firewood saws. I have a non mtronic that’s got about 8 years on it now, still love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations, 261s are great firewood saws. I have a non mtronic that’s got about 8 years on it now, still love it.

Thanks StihlKicking, it's going to get put into abrupt service shortly. Power company has contracted with Asplundh to thin trees near the power lines. I got it in good with the guy working ahead of the crews, marking what trees should be cut. Then I talked with the landowners that I knew didn't want the wood. On my property and on neighboring properties, I have about 80 trees that will be felled, limbs ground and cut, and all I need to do is haul it home. Probably 3 years worth of wood at least, some are small (3-6") Ash.

Thanks StihlKicking, it's going to get put into abrupt service shortly. Power company has contracted with Asplundh to thin trees near the power lines. I got it in good with the guy working ahead of the crews, marking what trees should be cut. Then I talked with the landowners that I knew didn't want the wood. On my property and on neighboring properties, I have about 80 trees that will be felled, limbs ground and cut, and all I need to do is haul it home. Probably 3 years worth of wood at least, some are small (3-6") Ash.

That is awesome! Congrats on the wood too, that’s as exciting as the new saw. With that much ahead of you, you’ll be glad you have that 261 at your side.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
261 is a good saw, I wish I had a smaller saw on hand.. I'm stuck packing around a Stihl "over kill" 461 for this season. However it comes in handy for the right occasion

Reactions: StihlKicking
pretty tempting to buy too much. weight should be more of a factor than most people care. that what I liked most about mine. 361/261 size is pretty good for most, and wont kill you caring it around. I use it all the time, stihls are very reliable, cut most of mine 0-30 deg outside, never had an issue other than the plug.

pretty tempting to buy too much. weight should be more of a factor than most people care. that what I liked most about mine. 361/261 size is pretty good for most, and wont kill you caring it around. I use it all the time, stihls are very reliable, cut most of mine 0-30 deg outside, never had an issue other than the plug.

Weight was a large factor when I chose this saw, seems to have a good power:weight ratio, plenty for an 18" bar. I did have them switch from green to yellow chain, for a little more aggressive cutting.

Nothing ever followed me home. Still a very nice saw, congrats.

Well, it was in the bed of my truck so technically it did follow not lead the way home. :)

Well, it was in the bed of my truck so technically it did follow not lead the way home. :)

If I could only get someone to put one of these in the bed of my truck, so as to follow me home. Some fellas have all the good luck.

I have an Echo, which has given me zero trouble and bucked out and cut plenty of firewood. After I had my Echo for about a year I used a friend's Stihl which I fell in love with. For a moment I had regrets but that soon faded. Now, I wouldn't give up my ol' Echo. When I ultimately need a new saw, I might buy a Stihl. Time will tell. You have a very nice saw.

its all about how much you use it. if i only cut a cord or two a year, the poulon i had before probably would be fine or whatever. i use it alot though and i had to take a few chains full cans of oil, and gas into the woods every time i went. wore it out (clutches all kinds of crap) now with the 361 i never wore anything out and fill the oil and leave the gas and chains at the house just have to come top the fuel at lunch. and it beats me up way less i use an 18 even though it can handle bigger