New stove 1800sf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CountyRoad3

Jan 2, 2023
Western Colorado
Hello everyone- I’m glad I found you all. My 39-year-old hand-me-down Kent Sherwood has reached the end of its life. I am looking for a new stove that won’t break the bank. I can spend up to $1200 or so. I have looked at Pleasant Hearth, Drolet, and some others online. I burn wood every day. It is our primary heat source in the mountains of Colorado. My current firebox is roughly 2 cubic feet, so I assume I need something about that size. I would love to hear your recommendations. I have searched Craigslist and FB marketplace for used units and come up empty. I think it is time to go with a new stove. Thanks in advance for the help.

Considering this is the main source of heat, go a few more bucks for the Drolet Escape 1800 or a True North TN20.

Reactions: mdocod
The 1500 is an E/W loader which means one can't utilize the full capacity without constant concerns of wood rolling up against the door glass. The 1800 is a bit more flexible and can squeak in a 16" split loaded N/S. The TN20 has a square firebox that can load 18" wood N/S or E/W. When loaded N/S it can be packed full with no worries of log roll.

Reactions: mdocod
When I was searching for wood stove options for our new home build, we were originally thinking of putting some smaller stoves in bedrooms, so I was looking at a lot of "tiny" stoves like the little TN10. In my various research I kept coming back to the True North stoves as they just look so good. They are made by Pacific Energy and appear very well made and the styling on them strikes me as a very desirable contemporary/simple/rustic appeal. The TN20 wasn't a fit for any of our applications but I almost wished I could some up with an application for it as strikes me as the "ideal" stove in this size class. I really like square fireboxes.

If you can spring for the TN20 I think it's a real winner. EPA measurements for emissions and efficiency also look very good for this class of stove if that's a concern.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for the advice. I am looking around right now to see the availability of the TN20. I hadn't thought about the value of a square firebox until now. Do you guys buy new stoves from local dealers, or have you used online sellers, shipped to the house? If so, what's the best online retailer for stoves?

There was only one authorized online seller for PE products and sadly he passed on a year ago. That said I think True North can be ordered online.
Call around to check inventory and price. Sometimes they are sold at local hardware stores so check there too.

If ordering online make sure you are getting all the parts (door, legs, etc.) and check if there are shipping costs.

Thanks. Those look like bonafide online retailers. I get a little antsy with an online purchase of this size from random retailers. I will check them out. I've also got a local dealer - by local, I mean 3 hours away - checking on availability of a TN20. I appreciate the help!