New Stove What is It

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
I picked this up today. I tried to find this online but was not sure what to type in. I thought it may be a Timberline they don't match and it is not a Fisher. I know the lower tray is off but I do have it. The lady painted over the rust so it will take some work as the inside had burned out wall plates but the outer back and sides of the stove are good. Does anyone no the name of this stove?

Front Wood Stove.jpg Side View .jpg

Looks like just a generic smoke dragon from the late 70s. No real value, you most likely won't find much info on it.

Your are very correct about this stove being a smoke dragon. But I have plans to help this stove kick the habit. I did every kind of search on the internet to find a picture of this stove and nothing. It could be this stove has value because it is unique. ;) It is the only one of its kinds in existence. :rolleyes: The lid on both sections is bent slightly downward around the edges and then the stove has a V shape from bottom to top. It will be a good fall project.

I see old fishers and timberlines and I have a bit of an urge to put them back into service. Then I think about how much time and money I have into my house and think otherwise. This is especially true with off-brand stoves. I wouldn't hesitate to play with something like this in a shop or garage that I wasn't all that attached to, but I would just urge some caution--especially if it had suffered some of the damage that you mentioned.

These old Fishers and Timberlines are still selling for a lot of money in my area and it appears that people are buying them. It never hurts to remind me to be careful when experimenting. I was thinking this stove would be good for a large shop when I purchased it. I do have people who are looking for larger stoves for this purpose. This stove is well built and has no warping on the outer back or side walls as you can see in the pictures. No stress cracks around the door opening or on the back wall. The inner plates are blown out but I can cut those out and replace. I already have new metal sheet I picked up at the scrap yard for a good price some months back. It is thicker than what was used inside this wood stove so it should hold hold up better. Plus I will weld some angle iron on the bottom to keep it from warping. But I am still in the dream stage as how to install secondary burners in this beast without hurting my pocket book.

I was looking all over this stove last night trying to find a name, date, stamp of any sort but nothing. I think it is a nice looking stove but then there is more to life than looks.

I have been cleaning this stove up and discovered the doors were made in Taiwan. What is interesting the metal shields inside the stove are blown out and the door as still like new. Then when I was looking for another stove to fix up I saw another one just like this for sale in Caldwell, Idaho for $800.00 I texted the owner but they said they could not find any tags or markings to identify the stove. I am watching to see if the sell it for $800.00 Some of us might call them smoke dragons which they are but people still buy them. I would like to at least improve the stove before I sell it.

Might be a Taiwanese knock-off of a Fisher?

I have rebuilt the inside of this stove and installed the secondary burners. I made everything much stronger than it was at first. I had no angle iron as the steel plating held in the bricks which did not hold up without support. The secondary burners are working great on my test. The pipe was only six feet long and reduced from eight inch to six and still had zero smoke coming out of the pipe at 420 degrees. I used the controversial Hardie board above the secondary burners as it retains heat very well. I put a few bricks on top for added weight. I have used it in my shop stove and it holds up well for me. I am not saying it will last years but it is easy to cut and replace. I will tell the buyer about it as someone it coming to get it tomorrow.

Close Front .jpg Stove Test .jpg Inside Secondary Burners.jpg No Smoke .jpg Blow out .jpg

That's a huge improvement, did you find anything out about its manufacture. FWIW, I recommend satin black for the paint. Glossy black doesn't look right to my eyes. I'd also spring for vermiculite or ceramic insulation board for the baffle if reselling.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Yes the stove has changed allot. I forgot to mention that I had to cut off all the door hinges and reset the doors. I like both the flat, satin and the semi gloss pending on the looks of the stove. The guy came to get it this morning and the first thing he said was he girlfriend saw the stove and wanted it. We all know he did the right thing. :) I felt good when he was explaining to me the clearances in his home. It looks like this stove will be sitting 5 to 6 feet away from everything. I asked him to stay in touch and send pictures of it after it is installed.

begree, I always appreciate that you and others on this forum like to follow the rules or for a better term be conscientious. I try to do the same with the wood stoves I rebuild. But I also like to experiment and think outside the box. I did tell this buyer that the Hardie board was an experiment and to keep an eye on it and told him what to use if it did not hold up. He was good with it and was a super nice fellow and had a very polite 16 year old son with him. He paid me $50.00 more than I was asking and I tried to give it back to him but he said nope the stove is worth it. So back to work on my next project.

It is a major improvement over the original. I'm glad that the buyer appreciated the work you put into the restoration. Where is the secondary system? I'm looking at the third picture, but not spotting it.

What's the next project? Another stove?

The secondary system are those tubes going from front to back. There are holes on both sides each tube. The material is 3/16 should last a long time. Then on the end of the tubes I ran another tube side to side to catch the flames as they wrap around the front of the stove being drawn to the flue.

My next project is already half done. I am trying to make a stove somewhat like a Kimberly just a tad lager with a combuster.

Reactions: begreen