New to Fireplace insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

odonnell0917

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2009
Philly Suburbs
I purchased and am picking up a Jotul C 450 tomorrow. I am driving an hour and half because it was 600 cheaper and no taxes in Delaware. After reading this very informative website I have two important questions.

1) I learned I do not have enough side clearance to the nearest wall for this insert. It calls for 44.25 inches and I have 41.5 inches. How big of a deal is this? Everything else will work fine and I really like what I have heard about this insert. Plus the Jotul inserts are the only ones my wife likes.

2) How important is it to put insulation around the 6" s/s liner that goes through the chimney. What would happen if I did not do this? The store I am puchasing this from said I don't need it.

Thanks for all the help.

Joe

1.) Looking at the manual, that side wall clearance is measured from the center line of the stove front. Is this the measurement you used? Unless the manual specifies that stated clearances can be reduced via method X, Y, or Z, I'm not sure what your recourse is there.

2.) The insulation wrap performs 2 vital functions: 1.) it keeps the flue gases in the liner warmer, thus improving draft and reducing creosote build up; and 2.) in the event of a chimney fire or in the event of a chimney which has an existing liner in bad condition, the insulation keeps the SS liner from transferring heat to the existing liner.

Apparently most masonry chimneys do not meet NFPA 211 and are thus not up to code. So, to achieve the full UL1777 standard, the insulation wrap is required. See this link for more info: http://www.aer-online.com/aerpage.phtml?page=ar-vent1

Should have measured before you purchased? :cheese: Flush face inserts tend to need less clearance than ones that stick out like the 450. Maybe there are heat shields that you can attach to the side of the insert.

Jotul are def some of the nicest looking Iron Inserts. they just didnt make one big enough for my application. You will find a very good rep on this site. So looking at the the 450 C manual, you dont have 44.25 from the centerline of the insert to the wall? I dont know how critical that spec is, but I would make for sure you meet all the other specs. Hopefully someone else will come by and comment on this.

For the chimney, if you have a clay lined flue that is in good structural condition you dont need an insulated liner. The opposite if these criteria is not met. From what I have learned here although insulated liner may not be needed, it will create the fastest startup, and best draw draft. Not needed, not required, but its supposed to be "ideal"

If you have a pic of the existing fireplace it will give everyone an very good vision of where you are installing.

I think you will be very pleased with your purchase I know we are. I know that this insert has some tough clearances to meet for most people, so a picture with measurements would be helpful for those on this forum to see. Good luck and make it a safe installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.