New To Me MS 291

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Hey everyone,

Saw a local guy selling a MS 291 with a 20" bar and asked if would consider trades. Up until now I have been using a Chinese Homdox saw that has served me well for what I have been up to. Started collecting wood this year and burning more and more. Ended up trading my old pump shotgun to him for the saw and feel like I got a good deal as a result.

Started right up and looks to be in good shape. Wondering if I should have it looked at or get it tuned up before using it. I have no experience with sharpening but followed a couple of threads on how to do so. Also been reading and most people have been suggesting to go with a shorter bar. Would like to have options and keep this running for ever.

Tips or maintenance recommendations are welcome. Do Stihl dealers work on all saws even if you didnt purchase it from them or are not the original owner?

02bf4b05ceb89d4f13e6746d9e85316d.jpg

Last edited:
Yes your local Stihl dealer will work on it..they dont care where the money comes from....lol...I would take it to them to ensure the saw is tuned properly...IMO the 20 in bar is to much for that saw...it would run really well with a 16 in bar and that is what Stihl recommends for it. As far as keeping it running in tip top shape....keep your filters changed...that being your fuel filter...you can blow out your air filter after every use...I change mine once a year but I use them pretty heavy....I run Stihl Ultra mix for my fuel mix and Stihl bar oil....keep your bar channel clean and the oil holes clean and you will enjoy many hours of use out of your new saw.

Reactions: Lone_Gun