New to me Quad Santa Fe: Some Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maraakate

Sep 27, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Hello,

This is my first Pellet Stove and I recently got a used Quad Santa Fe that hasn't been used in about 5 years. Unsure of the model year, but I did give it a brief go over by removing the baffle, vacuuming in that area, using the cleaning rods until no more ash was being dumped then breaking up any additional crud in the heat exchangers. Then I vacuumed the blowers, intake, exhaust, cleaned the fire pot as best as I could with a putty scraper. I put new fire rope in between the two bricks as well. Not sure if it was needed, but figured it can't hurt.

The unit works well, however the fire pot cleaning rod gets stuck sometimes and simply pushing on the plate from the bottom with ash pan removed can get it to move back. I noticed if I spray a little pb blaster on the pivot points it will snap back on it's own for a while, but problem returns. I want to take the fire pot out and soak it in hot water (as I have read in some other threads) to really ensure getting it clean as well as regreasing the pivot points with some high temp red wheel bearing grease.

Removing the fire pot seems easy enough, however should I hold off until I get a new fire pot gasket? I am unsure if disturbing it after 5 years will cause a problem. The gasket is cheap, so I ordered it anyways, as well as a new tadpole gasket for the door and thermocouple gasket. All OEM parts as it appears the pellethead brand parts have problems (particularly the reviews for replacement thermocouples!).

Wait for the parts ! If you don't, something will go wrong
Like you need the heat

Reactions: maraakate
Not sure about the Santa Fe but I totally agree with joneh. Unless its an emergency I won't take anything apart if it has a gasket unless I have a spare. I've got an MVAE and I use Permetex anti seize on the rods of the auto clean mechanism that the fire pot bottom slides on and on the firepot bolts themselves. Good luck.

OK. That's what I figured but just wanted to double check. The stove is working fine just needs a little guidance because those rods could use a bit of grease. When the parts show up I'll give it a proper cleaning and new gaskets. Thanks!

Put new tadpole gasket on and holy cow was that "fun" with being such a tight fit. I removed the fire pot, cleaned up real good with hot water, scraped the carbon out. There was some really stubborn carbon on the plate which I had to use some 120 to get it to go away. Afterwards, put antiseize on the screws and new gasket. My question is I noticed the gasket has a rough side and a smooth side. I don't think it makes any difference. I didn't see any mention in the book about it. I didn't use RTV either for it. I assume it's unnecessary? Stove seems to be working just fine.

I have had our Castile insert for over 13 years now. I have never pulled the firepot. Any time the cleanout door is starting to stick, I make sure to scrape off the build up on it. I have removed it several times to take it on a wire wheel to clean it up real well. When you reinstall the cleanout door, remember that you don't want it too tight. You want about the thickness of a dime for a gap between the burnpot and the door. This will allow you to still be able to pull the handle with some buildup on it.

Okay I'll remember that for next time. I did check on the year of manufacture for this particular unit and it's 2006 and as far as I can tell it's original gaskets and things of that nature so I think a little bit of preventative maintenance won't hurt it.

Reactions: Former Farmer