New to Site Intro / Returning to Burning / Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm already planning & making preparations to completely remove the FP. make whatever mods needed to pipes & the cavity where the FP is now & set the stove in its place.
Does that cavity meet the alcove installation clearance requirements?

No way the mantle can be used around a stove

Sounds good. Feel free to ask questions. Can we assume the mantel is history then?

Does that cavity meet the alcove installation clearance requirements?
I think it would be better to take out all the framing there and do a corner install for the stove rather than an alcove.

Reactions: bholler
I think it would be better to take out all the framing there and do a corner install for the stove rather than an alcove.
Agreed

That Is what I want. It will make the proper clearances & reap the max heat into room from stove. Unfortunately my wife wants something else. I believe I will have to physically put the stove in there to prove to her the mantle needs to come down.

It can't happen otherwise. The clearances just aren't there. This is a common problem. She probably wants a place to display photos, place knickknacks, and hang stockings. One compromise is to tile the corner walls behind the stove and then top with a good looking non-combustible mantel. Another is to put a display shelf on another wall that serves this purpose. This is what I did after the fireplace was removed. We reversed the room layout and the woodstove is in a corner now.

IMG_2067.jpg

Last edited:
Success! Convinced my wife to demo the corner & remodel for free standing stove. I'm working now to prep the corner for new tile/stone & install premium pipe to replace the crap tinfoil tube already in place.

Why didn't you pull the chimney out the top first? It's much easier
I needed to see what was in that wall first. I had no clue until I started tearing into it. Also I don't have the new pipework on hand yet so the existing pipe is keeping the hole in the roof from dumping water in my living room until I get new pipe installed.

Now that it's all apart,, I find the original FP has an 8" flu & the outer pipe is a bit over 13".
So now I can plan how to best renovate with the best pipe thru the existing roof penetration.
My stove has 6" exhaust & that gives me plenty of wiggle room to fit the best new pipe.
I'm excited about the stove. My wife is super excited about the new decor that goes with.

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
Now that it's all apart,, I find the original FP has an 8" flu & the outer pipe is a bit over 13".
So now I can plan how to best renovate with the best pipe thru the existing roof penetration.
My stove has 6" exhaust & that gives me plenty of wiggle room to fit the best new pipe.
I'm excited about the stove. My wife is super excited about the new decor that goes with.
Take out all of the existing pipe and flashing and redo it properly.

What is the make/model stove you installed? What is the dimension from the rear stove corners to the walls? Have you met the corner clearance requirements?

What is the make/model stove you installed? What is the dimension from the rear stove corners to the walls? Have you met the corner clearance requirements?
Earth Stove 1500HT.. Hard to see in the pic but the rear corners are within 1/4" of the minimum for standard install.. That said, the instructions give room for reduced clearances when backed with masonry. Once the stone is on the wall I'll have +/- 1.75" of thermal protection & thermal storage from stone & mortar/concrete board/gypsum in addition to air gap all around the stove.