New to us pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MamaSteph

Oct 17, 2019
NH
Hi All,

I have to say you all have been life savers when it came to our new pellet stove. (Timberwolf Tpi35) I do have a few questions though.. We got taken when we bought our new to us stove, (private seller) I don't think they ever cleaned it, the build up was horrifying, the auger motor gears were shattered in the casing, and it was covered in rust. We gave it a good cleaning, checked the wiring, bought a new auger motor and installed it.
I don't know much about pellet stoves so I was wondering if the flame is supposed to be huge when its starting up? we are current running it on the low setting, but when it starts up the flames are huge! they go down after a bit but I keep catching it with larger flames, they almost make a V shape, and I dont know if thats normal? there is no damper, and I don't know if they messed with the convection blower settings when they had it. it just seems like its less efficient for it to have such large flames while on low settings. I am going to check the door gasket later after it cools down. We tried to adjust the feed rate down thinking that might help, but im not sure if it actually did it, I'm just concerned where I have no point of reference for what its supposed to look like.. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Not familiar with your model of stove but most flames start slow and low and then get very high for a little while till it adjust. Has to bring the room up to temp you have it set for. Just like an AC does. It will settle down in time.

I don't know if this will help. It is Enviro but it
show a good example of how the flame should look

Get on Youtube maybe and search for videos of your model Timberwolf burning. There are many vids of many stoves showing how they burn.