New to us Woodstock Keystone..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueR

Oct 14, 2020
North Carolina Mountains
We recently purchased a used Woodstock keystone stove.. it was originally bought in 2008 but the new owners were renovating and haven’t used it for 5-6years so they decided to sell it.. we got it for a great deal and the stove looks great however it has been neglected so we need to know how we should go about cleaning the inside and outside.. I already cleaned the glass with newspaper and some vinegar diluted in water.. but how do I clean the soapstone And cast iron exterior? Also what should I do to check the cat?

another question is my house currently has an old franklin stove that appears to have an 8” pipe.. I read on Woodstock’s page that we can use an adapter to match the pipe and it should be fine.. anything I should be aware of doing this?
Thanks in advance..

Dave

Yes, that should work. The Keystone uses a less common 7" flue. The main thing to be aware of is what the stove is connecting to. Make sure the chimney and chimney connection are proper, safe, and up to code.

Woodstock has some cleaning guidelines for soapstone on their website. Inside, make sure that the bypass mechanism is working properly and that there is no warpage. Also, check the gaskets. They likely will need replacement if the stove has been neglected.

Reactions: BlueR
Yes, that should work. The Keystone uses a less common 7" flue. The main thing to be aware of is what the stove is connecting to. Make sure the chimney and chimney connection are proper, safe, and up to code.

Woodstock has some cleaning guidelines for soapstone on their website. Inside, make sure that the bypass mechanism is working properly and that there is no warpage. Also, check the gaskets. They likely will need replacement if the stove has been neglected.

thanks.. I have been reading up on their website.. everything seems to work mechanically that I can see.. I watched a few videos from their YouTube channel and they talk about removing the cat and cleaning it.. that’s my next step.. I want it cleaned and ready to install after I have my hearth checked to make sure it’s large enough for the stove since it’s in a corner..

I had the keystone for 8 yrs and loved it, Actually purchased it in 2009, very good unit and great company to deal with! Check the ash pan gasket to make sure it is good, and probably a good idea to replace the door gasket. Woodstock does say it’s ok to reduce down to 6” pipe if you need too, I used the 7” pipe at the time into my masonry flue. The cat might need to be replaced, at least clean it and start the season with it but I would order one to have it available to switch it out. My cat lasted for 5 seasons burning 24/7 for 5 months a yr! That was on the stainless cat I ordered through them.

I had the keystone for 8 yrs and loved it, Actually purchased it in 2009, very good unit and great company to deal with! Check the ash pan gasket to make sure it is good, and probably a good idea to replace the door gasket. Woodstock does say it’s ok to reduce down to 6” pipe if you need too, I used the 7” pipe at the time into my masonry flue. The cat might need to be replaced, at least clean it and start the season with it but I would order one to have it available to switch it out. My cat lasted for 5 seasons burning 24/7 for 5 months a yr! That was on the stainless cat I ordered through them.

Thanks.. The stove we have currently vents into a 8” pipe.. I clean it every year with a chimney sweep.. I’m wondering do they make a 7” to 8” adapter? I’ve seen 6”-8” at Lowe’s.. thanks again for the suggestions.. I’m sure I will need to get a new cat but I’m going to clean this one first.. in the research I’ve done didn’t they first come with a ceramic cat and later changed to a stainless steel version?

Another question I just thought of is the current stove has a Magic Heat reclaimers with a fan installed above the old wood stove.. is it safe to reuse that with the keystone stove? It looks like the pic I attached I found on google..

Attachments

• 2A02D1FA-13BB-49CE-B1F0-55E811F6AEF1.jpeg
    2A02D1FA-13BB-49CE-B1F0-55E811F6AEF1.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 129
Another question I just thought of is the current stove has a Magic Heat reclaimers with a fan installed above the old wood stove.. is it safe to reuse that with the keystone stove? It looks like the pic I attached I found on google..
No, sell that to the scrap man.

No. Complete junk. Creosote creator at it's finest. Scrap it.

No, sell that to the scrap man.

thanks I searched on here and saw the recommendations to scrap it lol.. wow..

Do you think I should just get a whole new chimney pipe installed since this old stove was installed in the 70s.. I mean I had a chimney sweep check it out years ago and he told me it was fine.. and he showed me what to do to clean it myself..

Thanks.. The stove we have currently vents into a 8” pipe.. I clean it every year with a chimney sweep.. I’m wondering do they make a 7” to 8” adapter? I’ve seen 6”-8” at Lowe’s.. thanks again for the suggestions.. I’m sure I will need to get a new cat but I’m going to clean this one first.. in the research I’ve done didn’t they first come with a ceramic cat and later changed to a stainless steel version?
Yes the first cat was ceramic I ruined mine by “accident” but they prorate their warranty so I was only out I think $50-60 at the time and they gave me the option of SS or ceramic I chose SS and it would light off at 200* vs the 250* with ceramic. They do have a 7”x8” but you might have to order it! When I swept the chimney at the end of the season, I’d normally have about a coffee cup of soot and that was it every yr and the first couple of yrs I had some wet firewood and it handled it well, but do try to burn dry wood.

Reactions: Hoytman
thanks I searched on here and saw the recommendations to scrap it lol.. wow..

Do you think I should just get a whole new chimney pipe installed since this old stove was installed in the 70s.. I mean I had a chimney sweep check it out years ago and he told me it was fine.. and he showed me what to do to clean it myself..
Have them come out and check it again if it’s been awhile, and if it’s good to go I’d keep it and use it, mine drafted very well on a 7”x10” external masonry chimney and was always clean!

Nah, but you got my drift. LOL! Going for more black rocks next week. Have a ton in the garage. Keep your eyes peeled for some decent wood. I would like to get another cord or two...real cords. LOL!

Nah, but you got my drift. LOL! Going for more black rocks next week. Have a ton in the garage. Keep your eyes peeled for some decent wood. I would like to get another cord or two...real cords. LOL!
LOL! It’s hard to find “real” cords of wood around, I look daily to find “deals” and everything is by the truck load or $100 for a rick haha. And none of it is actually “seasoned”!

If you have scratches on any of the stone I used 0000steel wool and you can “buff” out the scratches. Very simple to do and you can order matching paint from WS! Very simple stove to operate, also do check the gasket on the bypass door to make sure it is sealing good.