New wood hauler on maiden voyage!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Opted for this truck with a V6 twin turbo engine. Has the same horsepower/torque as my 6.0 liter V8 in the 2500HD. It gets 16/22 gas mileage ratings. First tank got me 18.4. Used my dollars as a political statement on this one too. First Ford ever, and will likely never by GM again. Did not go for the politics and bankruptcy arrangement that Obama and GM collaborated on.

Attachments

• TruckFord (2).jpg
    TruckFord (2).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 566
Looks great. I like GM... but I would also buy a Ford. I buy their stock, probably not so smart.

I was looking at them too. Awesome truck. Did you get the heavy haul package?

Billy

Good looking truck. I'm a Dodge truck owner and not a big ford fan, but that is a sharp looking truck.

I am always amazed to see guys with new trucks filling the beds with rounds. My truck is 9 years old 130K miles and long since paid for. If I had a payment on a Pretty truck, I would baby it so much - I'm not sure I could toss rounds into it!

Might as well scratch it and dent it up! Trucks are made for work!

Thats just way to pretty for a wood hauler! Its time for a trailer. :cheese:

We just bought a F150 with the 5.0L. The ecoboost is an awesome engine and I cannot believe the HP and Torque that it produces. Traded my F250 with the 6.0l and am impressed with how capable the new 1/2 tons are. I was unhappy as well with the way GM handled the bankruptcy.

The first errant round that bounces off of the side panel is gonna be painful. That thing is too purdy.

I get sticker shock when I see the price of new trucks. I have been underwhelmed with my Tundra but it's payed off and I don't want to haul wood in a new truck.

That looks a lot like my truck, but mine is a '09 with the 4.6 3V. It is a great wood hauler.

When it comes to dents/scratches...the first one is the worst one. The inside of my bed looks pretty banged up, but that's the way it is supposed to be.

It will get a cap soon. Right now there is double 5/8 pressboard on the floor. I was gentle loading this load up. Still got a small dinger on the inner bed. Trucks are for workin', this one ain't no exception.

Congratulations on the move from GM. You should be happy with that nice Red truck. I have owned at least one Ford truck since 1990.

basswidow said:
Good looking truck. I'm a Dodge truck owner and not a big ford fan, but that is a sharp looking truck.

I am always amazed to see guys with new trucks filling the beds with rounds. My truck is 9 years old 130K miles and long since paid for. If I had a payment on a Pretty truck, I would baby it so much - I'm not sure I could toss rounds into it!

Might as well scratch it and dent it up! Trucks are made for work!

Up untill 3-4 years ago my 92 F-150 had flawless paint and body work.. Now after many, many loads of firewood it's not so pretty. I figured who am I saving it for? It's value with perfect paint vs scratched/dented up paint isn't much different considering its age. Might as well get my use out of it.

I've been driving F150s for twenty five years or so. I tend to keep them a long time. I just traded my '97 in on a 2009 a couple of months ago. The '97 only had 96K miles on it.
I rarely drive them more than 5000 miles a year. That '97 had not been in the shop in five or six years and I'd never had any sort of major issue with it. It had a full, drop in bed cover so wood hauling never hurt it any.
My 2009 has a thick spray on liner. I haven't put any wood in it yet but I might get an old piece of carpet or something for the bed so I don't gouge out the liner when I toss a round into it. It also has a rigid, lift up tonneau cover that might be a pain to work with when I'm hauling wood. We'll see.

But if I was going to buy a truck just for hauling wood, I would have bought a real beater.

Good looking truck . . . before I ended up buying my Nissan Titan I was taking a long, hard look at the Ford F-150 . . . they rode nice and were very comfortable.

And yeah . . . trucks are for working . . . they'll all get scratched up eventually . . . only the first scratch hurts . . . or hurts the most . . . sadly my first scratch was me bashing in my front by running into a stump hidden in a clump of ferns . . . the good news is my cousin was able to fix it up so it looks fine now.

My worst first scratch was the result of power-washing a Dakota I owned. I had taken the nozzle off to blow it out. Replaced it and did not notice the coupling did not slide to lock the nozzle in place. Took aim at the passanger door and squeezed the trigger. 2700 psi behind the nozzle as it bounced off the door skin. A nice dinger. That will never happen again.

Just for clarity, this truck is not for wood hauling, even though it will haul some. It is for working.

That truck is just plain pure! take good care of it and enjoy it ! art

mywaynow said:
My worst first scratch was the result of power-washing a Dakota I owned. I had taken the nozzle off to blow it out. Replaced it and did not notice the coupling did not slide to lock the nozzle in place. Took aim at the passanger door and squeezed the trigger. 2700 psi behind the nozzle as it bounced off the door skin. A nice dinger. That will never happen again.

Just for clarity, this truck is not for wood hauling, even though it will haul some. It is for working.

I'm always scared of that happening so my first shot with the power washer is away from anything I care about, usually straight up in the air.

That newer twin turbo V6 is just crazy. My uncle has one and uses it to tow a decent size camper.

That truck looks wayy to nice to be used for wood. My truck got its first dent a few months ago and I almost cried. Then I remembered that I got a cheap truck so I could USE it. Rolled a round off the tailgate near the edge and it rolled right back at the rear fender. My truck doesn't sit low, so I'm sure you can imagine the size of this round and the amount of force it had behind it when it rolled back at the truck. No major paint damage, but I got down under the truck with my 8lb mail and hammered some of the dent out.

Spray Line that bed! Keeps 'em looking great even if you do use it hard. Expensive but worth every penny!

That's way to nice a truck to be a wood hauler. I can't bring myself to haul wood in my 5 year old Chevy even though it's a work truck. I have an old Chevy pickup and trailer for that. Always had GM vehicles but I'm not fond of their government bailout either. Where I work the last 2 pickups they purchased have been fords. Got to admit I am liking ford a lot more these days, their not the same trucks they built 15 years ago.

MasterMech said:
Spray Line that bed! Keeps 'em looking great even if you do use it hard. Expensive but worth every penny!

That gets done when the cap and tool boxes come out post-service period. I will be using a roll-on version to coat the bed of the 2500HD after the transition of tools to the Ford. I drill holes for wiring and mounts to accommodate the setup, therefore lining the bed would only necessitate relining to repair that damage later.

These fella's are correct. That's way too nice a truck for haulin' wood. I recommend you give it to me for 6 months and I'll return it to you in perfect condition for haulin' wood :coolgrin:

I'm with you trucks are for workin' no matter how new. I just think there's something wrong when you get these city-folks with Humvees and other assorted 4WDs and the most off-roading they've done is on the front lawn to get washed. Sick, just sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.