Newb buying a refurbished Jotul F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zkalatsky

Nov 22, 2021
Saugerties, ny
Hi there,
You have all been so helpful last time I posted and I'm still looking at buying my first stove. I found a Jotul F600 on Facebook marketplace for $2500 by someone who buys old stoves and refurbishes them.

Can you let me know if you think this is a good deal and if there is anything I should look out for when I go take a look at it or questions I should ask the seller?

Thank you!
Zach

IMG-1226.JPG IMG-1227.JPG IMG-1228.JPG

I dont think thats a good deal unless you dont want to wait. What did they do to refurbish it the door gaskets? or all the gaskets?
Bricks and tubes looked used for several years... Doesnt look like it was completely refurbished.

Did you get a cost of a new model?

Make sure the ash pan door gasket is new and doesnt leak. Bring a flashlight and take the pan out and look for light shining out....

If a new stove is 3300 I wouldn't pay 2,500.00. $1800-$2000.

I dont think thats a good deal unless you dont want to wait. What did they do to refurbish it the door gaskets? or all the gaskets?
Bricks and tubes looked used for several years... Doesnt look like it was completely refurbished.

Did you get a cost of a new model?

Make sure the ash pan door gasket is new and doesnt leak. Bring a flashlight and take the pan out and look for light shining out....

If a new stove is 3300 I wouldn't pay 2,500.00. $1800-$2000.
Got it! Thanks for this info. I called a local hudson valley, ny dealer and he told me an f500 costs $4500 now and takes 6-8 months to get. I’m not in a rush but prices are crazy right now for everything.

Maybe I’ll just wait until stock is more available if that ever happens....

I got a response from the owner:

“This stove does not have any firebrick. The top is new, baffles, insulation blanket, all gaskets. The stainless steel pipes are in great condition and didn't need replacement. This stove was stop being made in 2005.”

Does this shift anything in your mind?

I dont predict the prices coming down... I zoomed in and it doesn't have fire bricks. All the gaskets and parts are listed in manual.

But ask what year it is and which manual? i found several manuals online. See if they will send you a picture of the tag on rear and manual. Hopefully someone else will chime in with the same year.

http://woodenergywarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Manual_F_600_USA_P08_280211.pdf (as feb 2011)

https://jotul-static-content.s3.ama.../Wood/F600/139682_R04_Manual_F 600_NA_EPA.pdf (as sep 2009)

Remember the ash pan door rules when lighting. If you open it to cheat on air...dont leave it open too long.

If they did change "all" the gaskets and other items you mentioned that does make me feel a little better.

Check for base cracks incase the ash pan door was used to stoke the fire. Honestly if the f600 checks out, its a pretty good deal and should last at least 10 years.

On my way to check out and potentially buy this stove.

I plan on installing this in a new house I’m slowly building- any way to know it this passes current epa requirements and will pass a building inspection? I hunted around and can’t find info on how to confirm.

Reactions: MR. GLO
This stove was stop being made in 2005.”
That is wrong and a red flag along with the exorbitant asking price. The F600 was sold up until a couple of years ago. I think the last purchase we saw posted here was in early 2020. The fact that it needed a new top is also one. I would pass and consider some other stoves.

Reactions: MR. GLO
I believe 2020 is the current law. I think April or may was the cut off date for new stove sales.

So look for the tag or see if they have original manual.

But I'd say it doesn't pass current law for new stove sales.

But I'd say it doesn't pass current law for new stove sales.
Definitely not, although this is a rebuild, not new. It's still an EPA stove and should be acceptable for a new home, but I am leery of this particular one. It should sell for about $1500 as a rebuild and the fact that it needed a new top is a warning sign that some stress may have occurred in its lifetime. Considering that the house has not been built yet, I would walk away from this one.

There are many other options. However, at this point, we don't even know what the stove will be heating. In new, tight, well-insulated construction it could be overkill. I suggest waiting and doing more research. Prices on stoves may be lower next summer.

Reactions: EbS-P
Definitely not, although this is a rebuild, not new. It's still an EPA stove and should be acceptable for a new home, but I am leery of this particular one. It should sell for about $1500 as a rebuild and the fact that it needed a new top is a warning sign that some stress may have occurred in its lifetime. Considering that the house has not been built yet, I would walk away from this one.

There are many other options. However, at this point, we don't even know what the stove will be heating. In new, tight, well-insulated construction it could be overkill. I suggest waiting and doing more research. Prices on stoves may be lower next summer.
Thank you everyone for the info. I read all of the newer posts after actually buying it for $2200. It looks beautiful and it seems like I potentially overpaid for it from what people have been sharing. I appreciate the help and am excited to test this out once my space is ready for it.

Reactions: EbS-P and MR. GLO
Congrats. What year did it turn out to be?