Newbie from Pa. Harmon P61a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankie

Jun 12, 2012
Stroudsburg Pa.
I am buying my first ever pellet stove at 60 years old. Harmon P61a and am looking forward to learning as much about pellet burning as I can. Average oil cost in the last few years was $3000 for the winter. I am sure some of you have this stove so let me know how you like it. Also will be looking for a small used one for another application. Thoughts on what brands to look at for used. Thanks.

Harman makes the Cadillac of Pellet stoves. I doubt you will be disappointed in it..

I hope you have been informed of the Maintenance that a Pellet Stove needs. Harmans are easy to work on and are very reliable and efficient. It is crucial to keeping these stoves clean. Some people see it as a chore. But for most it not only saves them money, but becomes quite the hobby.

The amount of time and maintenance isnt as bad as some say. Some people hate pellet stoves and prefer wood stoves. I have both and if I had to pick one. It would be Pellet. There easy,efficient, and automated. The time spent on cleaning every week or two, is equal to or less than the time your gonna spend loading and adjusting the air on a woodstove. Not to mention the 2-3 yrs of wood you need on hand to keep good seasoned wood. Plus the labor involved and space in which it takes up....

I spent almost $4,000 a yr in LP. Went through 3-4 tanks a yr. I am almost to yr 3 on the same tank and at 40%. I should get about 4-5 good yrs before a fill now. I burned on average 4 ton a yr. But added the Woodstove and Pellet furnace this last season. My consumption dropped to less than 3 ton with wood also.

Pellet stoves are best suited to an upstairs location and also centrally located. It will heat the Entire home this way.. Where do you plan on installing it? Are you doing it? Or a Professional? Did you buy it from a Hearth/Stove Shop? Or used? If used, you need to fully clean and go through it...

Welcome to the club... Oh and by the way... We love pics....

Welcome. This was my first year with pellets and here on the forum. Two of the best decisions I have made lately. I don't have that stove (have a Quadrafire), but from what I have seen, you have a great one.
My advice is ask questions. The members here have helped many (including me).

Welcome Frankie. We got our p61a this past January, and not enough good things to say about it. Easy to maintain, Burns anything, and looks good too. We only had it for 1/2 the season, but I figure it will cut the heat bill in half on a full season of burning. It was a mild winter. Burned 2 1/2 tons since january. And a lot warmer. Dont have to listen to the wife and kids bitchin about being cold. The folks on here are pretty knowledgeable about everything pellets.

As mentioned above, the P61A is a great stove. And it won't take long before you'll be OCD like most of the rest of us. Always on the hunt for the perfect pellet.
I have a cape built in 1930. I had blown in insulation put in in 2009 when I bought the stove. I don't burn any oil. This past winter was pretty mild, and I heated my house for $900. Usually just over $1000. If I was burning oil, it would be 3 times that. The main thing is to keep the stove clean. A lot of info is available on this site, so ask questions if you're not sure about things.

I am buying my first ever pellet stove at 60 years old. Harmon P61a and am looking forward to learning as much about pellet burning as I can. Average oil cost in the last few years was $3000 for the winter. I am sure some of you have this stove so let me know how you like it. Also will be looking for a small used one for another application. Thoughts on what brands to look at for used. Thanks.
Welcome Frankie. Your choice of the P61A is a good one and you won't be disappointed. Having said that, one of the first rules of being a member of the Harman Owners Club is to spell HarmAn correctly. We are very sensitive about that......

I have gone through one season with my P61A. We installed it on the lower living room level which is slab on grade. Prior to having the pellet stove, we migrated from this room to our smaller living room area upstairs and left the lower living room level in the low 50's. Now we have the whole house back and are more comfortable than ever. Congrats on the decision and welcome aboard.

LOL I knew that Harmon would not slide! Welcome and again you will love the Harman stove! I used a Harman P43 for two seasons now and have been nothing but happy with it. Fun to clean actually and I now cannot wait until the cold season lol!! Im already looking and stocking pellets for the fall. Like said before you may enjoy the hunt for the best pellets. Your in a great location for many different good brands. Barefoot, Lignetics, Turman, Greene Team, and Somerset are all available in Eastern PA. The P61A is on my wish list as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.