Newbie install question (pellet stove venting)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cockersx3

Jul 5, 2008
Eastern MA
Hi folks,

We're looking at installing a pellet stove insert as a replacement to our existing propane fireplace - the prospect of shelling out several thousand dollars this year for heating oil has forced us to do something! The existing fireplace is not masonry - just a wood frame with a 6 1/2" OD type B vent extending from the gas fireplace directly through the roof. There does not appear to be any clearance between the vent pipe and the insulation at the ceiling. (I've got some pictures, just nolt sure how to upload 'em)

When we explained our plans to the stove dealer, they indicated that we would need to install a liner into our existing type B vent to be able to use a pellet stove. That seems pretty simple if true - but despite a lot of searching, I can't find anything on the internet to suggest that such as installation is acceptable or safe.

So.....is it typical for folks to install liners into type B pipe? Would prefer to not have to completely rework the roof penetration for this....! At any rate, we would appreciate your feedback on this - we are concerned about the fire safety of this installation, and did not want to do somehing that will burn my house down....;-)

Also, my understanding is that the hearth must be covered in noncombustable material for 6" from each edge of the stove. Does this include the portion within the fireplace? I am planning to build out the hearth to accomodate a stove, just wanted to know if I need to tile the inside of the fireplace too....

Also, we are looking at a St. Croix - York insert. Any experience with these? We were looking at a harman accentra, but with the $1000 price difference between the two the York is looking better. Just not sure of the history etc on these,

Thanks! Steve

Attachments

• 100_3562.JPG
    100_3562.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 100_3566.JPG
    100_3566.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 100_3567.JPG
    100_3567.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 487
Here is my opinion.

The B-Vent should be taken out - and pellet vent installed.

In your case, the "insert" is being installed as a built-in stove - not an insert...so make certain the manual addresses such an installation. In other words, you are installing it AS a fireplace, not IN a fireplace.

Although the lined B-Vent might be safe in terms of clearances, etc - to my knowledge it is not addressed in the manual(s) nor it is a common practice. This means it really cannot be done and have the installation conform to codes, standards and the owners manual (stove lab listing).

So have it done right:
1. Check that the "insert" also can be installed in a blank frame wall
2. Install Pellet vent pipe up through the roof.

St. Croix are good stoves - we have a number of members who say good things about them.

im with web on this , take the type B out , you also need to ensure the insert you are looking at is legal for the "fireplace" you intend to install it in , looking at the photo's you pposted , i do not see a fireplace per se but a hole in a framed wall , inserts that can be mounted this way are fairly rare. most are only rated for masonary fireplaces some can be installed in a ZC fireplace , this is neither , its simply a framed in area. be very careful in your stove selection for this reason , or maybe look at a freestanding application on the hearth instead to avoid the "fireplace" issue

After looking at your photos, the first thing that came to my mind is how much space is wasted inside that "false" chimney. I don't know how handy you are, but I'd like to suggest that you remove that chimney completely, build yourself a simple hearth and vent a freestanding stove straight up through the roof.

You would gain a lot of floor space, open up that wall completely and it would just make that room more open and installation simple.

Just a thought.

Steve

Hi folks,

Thanks for the quick feedback! There are a number of "zero clearance" pellet inserts that are designed to be framed into a wall - Lennox and Harman's inserts both sound like they'll do the trick. I like the look of the wall and do not like the free-standing units, so the wall is staying.

Still not sure about the liner for the type B vent - starting to look like I'll need to take it out and replace it, although I'm still hoping to find something that says it's OK. Strange how the dealer is recommending installing a liner if it's not typical.....

Steve

Well, Mike (above) is a tech boss at a stove maker, and he doesn't mention it - and I have never heard of such (B-vent).....reason being that there are simply not many situations which would call for it, so neither a test lab nor a manufacturer would spec it or test it!

If you find something, let us know. As to why the dealer is suggesting it - maybe he has not been out to the job site and is simply quoting what would be needed for the "regular" prefab fireplace insert installation. Or, maybe he is suggesting to line it with Pellet Vent (not single wall), in which case you could leave it in (probably).

Status
Not open for further replies.