Newbie looking for first pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

banjoman4

Jan 29, 2017
TN
Hello guys! Looks like a great place here. I am looking at getting my first pellet stove and am considering different brands. My uncle lives in Missouri and has heated his home and greenhouses with pellet stoves for years with corn pellets as fuel. I can get great pricing right now on a Castle Serenity that I have looked at as well as a couple others from Tractor Supply Company as I can get employee pricing on top of sales prices. It will be heating a 1200 square foot home. My heat pump is costing too much in electricity. Any tips what brand is best for reliability and also what models would be safest with a small child in the home?

The Serenity is a great stove and would be the stove I recommend over the US stoves from TSC, As for safety the door is going to be the biggest concern with kids because the door gets pretty warm and could burn a child on some stoves. Best thing to do with kids around is to put one of the firescreens around the front of the stove.

Reactions: bags
X2 with what Rich said.

Reactions: rich2500
Here's what I use to keep the kids out.. you can find hem on Amazon for about $60

IMG_1618.JPG