Newbie Pellet Owner...a couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachpelkey

Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2009
fredericksburg va
Hello, I bought a house a year ago and it had a quadrafire contour pellet stove downstairs. I didnt use it the first year, wasnt sure and couldnt find information on it. I tried it about 3 months ago and it worked like a charm after trying to clean it etc...Lately, I have to use gel to start the fire, the firepot wont ignite and it just runs with no fire. I do have a few questions that maybe someone can help me with...

1. What is the best way to clean it? I dont have a pellet vac, and right now only have a dustbuster (prob should get a shop vac ..right?) I have opened up some panels and cleaned behind them, mostly just pulled out clinkers or whatever from the firepot...and cleaned the trays (pellets and ash).

2. When and how should I shut off my stove..? Should I just keep it plugged in all the time and use the thermostat or should I just unplug it when I am done using it. I dont like to keep it running all the time because I am not there during the day, and dont run it at night.....is there a safer way of handling it ?

3. Lately since I have been using the gel to start the fire, which works ok.....when I shut down my stove we get a horrible smell and light black smoke pouring from the front of the stove....can anyone help me with this ?

I appreciate it, there are no real stores in my area and I know my pellet stove is rather old....I buy my pellets by the bag....wish I could have somewhere to store them better (we keep them in our laundry room in a dry area).

Any other help would be great thank you so much for your patience....

[email protected] is my email

Ryan

First, Welcome Aboard!

Second, here is the link to the owners manual for your stove.

Steve

Thank you, I have a copy of the book now, and was looking at it, but really doesnt answer a few questions that I have mentioned above. I also found the video and I am confused about turning it off at night etc....plus are there problems with the sealing of my glass door, is that why the smoke is escaping when I turn the plug off.....this is new, and I guess just looking for some advice.

Thank you....again.

One more thing, after looking at things again I think my stove is a castile pellet stove, I appreciate the help with this, its all rather confusing.

coachpelkey said:
One more thing, after looking at things again I think my stove is a castile pellet stove, I appreciate the help with this, its all rather confusing.

Coach, I thought you said the stove was a Quadrafire Contour? Before we can help you, we really need to know what stove you have.....isn't there a nameplate on the back, or under the hopper lid, etc.? It would also help if there was a manufacturing date.

You are right, it is a quadrafire Castile Pellet Stove...free standing, not an insert. I understand what you are saying. I think its about 5 years old. I couldnt find the date. I downloaded the owners manual, all that, and watched the video. I appreciate the help-

OK...so now you have the manual...need any other questions answered that aren't in the manual?

If not, good luck. :)

Yes as mentioned above, I have been reading the manual and still stumped....or are there ways to help...
1. What is the best way to clean it? I dont have a pellet vac, and right now only have a dustbuster (prob should get a shop vac ..right?) I have opened up some panels and cleaned behind them, mostly just pulled out clinkers or whatever from the firepot...and cleaned the trays (pellets and ash).

2. When and how should I shut off my stove..? Should I just keep it plugged in all the time and use the thermostat or should I just unplug it when I am done using it. I dont like to keep it running all the time because I am not there during the day, and dont run it at night.....is there a safer way of handling it ?

3. Lately since I have been using the gel to start the fire, which works ok.....when I shut down my stove we get a horrible smell and light black smoke pouring from the front of the stove....can anyone help me with this ?

First of all how have you been shutting it off? I noticed you say you pull the plug. That is why you are getting smoke, the stove has to go through a shutdown which runs the fans until it the firebox is clear of smoke and you won't get the smoke inside.

1. either get a regular stove vac, or a shop vac plus drywall bags or HEPA filter to go inside it. The fine ash will go right through a normal filter. As for HOW to clean, I took a look at your manual, and it's spelled out pretty clearly what you need to do, and when.

2. I don't know what you read (or didn't) in the owners manual, but it tells how to shut the stove off right at the top of P. 27:

"A. Proper Shutdown Procedure". (BTW, DO NOT just unplug it)

As for when to shut it off, that is up to you, but most people run these stoves even when they are away from home, and even while sleeping....they have a lot of safeguards built-in.

3. The smell and smoke are because you are unplugging the stove. When shut off properly, the stove is supposed to keep running until all the pellets are burned and the stove cools down.....you are not allowing that to happen, and therefore the smoke & smell have to go somewhere....in this case into your home.

I HIGHLY recommend that you REALLY read your owners manual...everything you need to know is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.