Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davecason

Jun 22, 2017
calgary
Hi Folks,

I have a question about my wood burning stove - I cracked the glass on the stove in the door.

I want to get a new piece of glass cut for it. Is there anything special about that pane of glass
or can I just go to a class company and get them to cut a new piece?

I looked at ordering a new piece from the manufacturers but they want over $300 bucks for it.
I can't recall the model but it might be an Osborn.

Anyway I figured come here and ask the experts before I do anything.

Cheers'
Dave

Hi Folks,

I have a question about my wood burning stove - I cracked the glass on the stove in the door.

I want to get a new piece of glass cut for it. Is there anything special about that pane of glass
or can I just go to a class company and get them to cut a new piece?

I looked at ordering a new piece from the manufacturers but they want over $300 bucks for it.
I can't recall the model but it might be an Osborn.

Anyway I figured come here and ask the experts before I do anything.

Cheers'
Dave

It's not glass. It's PyroCeram. It is very costly becuse it'll stand up to high heat.
Regular glass or even tempered glass is dangerous in a wood stove, as it can
literally explode. Pay the price for the right material, & determine why the original
piece was damaged.
Most likely cause is that a piece of wood was in contact with the PyroCeram &
the door was closed against it.