Newbie question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peterdulux

Jan 23, 2021
Canada
Hello everyone, new to the forum and new to fireplaces in general.

I have a question. My home has a gas/wood burning fire place on the main floor and in the basement, the alcove for the upstairs fireplace runs to the basement.
Perfect place for a second one.

I would like to do a free standing fireplace or freestanding stove in the alcove. Three walls are concrete of course. Basement unfinished.

My question would be about venting. What are my options on venting?

I don't think it's possible to bore through the base of the existing fire place and run pipe up and through the existing fire place. May not be code and would render upstairs fire place useless.

I could go through the basement wall below the existing fireplace and run a venting pipe up along the existing exterior of the masonry chimney as it is now.

If that's the case, would there be any issues with ventilation, or cold air coming down when not in use?

Hope this makes sense.

In Alberta Canada.

Is there a zero-clearance fireplace above in a chase? I ask because I am wondering if the chase is extra wide with room enough for a chimney to pass alongside of the fireplace, or if it could be widened?

If a hole is bored through the wall, how far above grade would it be? The other concern would be negative pressure in the basement. This is fairly common.

Ok, I googled "zero clearance fireplace", no, mine is a masonry/brick built in 1977. One of my original thoughts was to install an insert in the main fireplace. So if I did, I don't think there would be enough room for 2 liners, if that's even legal.

The hole would be, just a guess, 2 feet above grade. Maybe 3....

When you say "chase", are you referring to the entire chimney structure? If so, it's quite wide...

Would there be negative pressure if the unit drew fresh air from outside?