newbie stove owner to be

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
i am new to this pellet stove world. have been doing some research and would like opinions. i have been looking at enviro evoultion and maxx stoves.dealer seems very good to work with. i am heating a 15oo sq. foot ranch. very well insulated. would like to put in cellar and heat most of house. would plan on putting heat grates in floor and leave door open.have also looked at breckwell but hearing many problems. harman stoves are sold out til 2009 im told. been looking at a napoleon stove that has 43000btu,s but no feedback on that one.have been recommended a st croix, but not a lot of answers on this one. also need to learn about quality of pellets. home depot have a brand called nature premium pellets 1% at 229..00 ton. enviro dealer sells a brand that starts with c from canada that is 1% and he says it burns at 9200 btu,s. for 265.00 a ton. please help time is running short and everyone will be sold out.

I'd personally focus on the stove first and foremost, and work on the pellet situation as you narrow down your stove decisions.

As a new stove purchaser myself, all I can give you is feedback to what I did. Through research here, in reading people's posts about the stoves I was interested in, and talking to a number of different stove shops I came to the decision to get a Harman. How many stores did I go to? I went to 3 different shops, only one which had the Harman I went with, one was within 15min of my house, and the third was within 25min of my house.
I then called and talked with 4 other stove shops to determine prices and costs for installation. In getting feedback from them on different stoves vs. the stove I was interested in, I was able to get even more information from the company I'd eventually purchase a stove from.

Overall, I think the idea of putting grates in the floor might help a bit with heating the upper floors, but depending on your floor plan the sides of your house will most likely be cool.

jsvo said:
i am new to this pellet stove world. have been doing some research and would like opinions. i have been looking at enviro evoultion and maxx stoves.dealer seems very good to work with. i am heating a 15oo sq. foot ranch. very well insulated. would like to put in cellar and heat most of house. would plan on putting heat grates in floor and leave door open.have also looked at breckwell but hearing many problems. harman stoves are sold out til 2009 im told. been looking at a napoleon stove that has 43000btu,s but no feedback on that one.have been recommended a st croix, but not a lot of answers on this one. also need to learn about quality of pellets. home depot have a brand called nature premium pellets 1% at 229..00 ton. enviro dealer sells a brand that starts with c from canada that is 1% and he says it burns at 9200 btu,s. for 265.00 a ton. please help time is running short and everyone will be sold out.

heat grates in the floor are a "no-no"

They are against most building codes due to that they would allow the spread of a fire to quickly up the structure. Just like laundry chutes are no longer allowed or balloon frameing techniques.

That makes sense, I never thought about that with the fire.

what would be a proper way to get heat upstairs from cellar? heating tech friend of mine said i should use fans and ducts up to floor vents. also leave door open. any feedback on enviro stoves? or napoleon/ THANKS

Most of your heat will end up in the cellar, all manufactures say put it where you spend the most time. They really put out limited heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.