Newbies: Burn Your Stove Outside First.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
With the advent of the new heating season and a bunch of newbies installing stoves we have the usual complaints of odor in the house during first fires.

If you can folks, burn your stove outside for a couple of hours before installation. This will take care of curing the stove and the paint and you'll have no smell inside when you install and fire up for heat. If you can't do this, expect odor for a few hours and be prepared to open lots of windows.

This is normal. The odor goes away

Last edited:
The the smell isn't all that bad. It's all the smoke detectors going off inside that was a pain for us last year. <>

I found mine stunk for a few weeks. Everytime i hit a new high temp during breakin fires it would off gas again. I would say try to do a few breakin fires outside if you can or start breaking it in now while its still warm enough to open windows

Reactions: Darren111
I found mine stunk for a few weeks. Everytime i hit a new high temp during breakin fires it would off gas again. I would say try to do a few breakin fires outside if you can or start breaking it in now while its still warm enough to open windows
Same here. Burned off/ cured paint at heat setting 1. Odor went away. Turned stove up to 2 and odor came back. Not as strong or as long but there. Same a few days later when it got colder out and went to setting 3. Not sure what's gonna happen when/if I need setting 6 lol.

Just the same...the initial burn in was the worst but even then not too bad, and only lasted an hour or two.

Edit- still thinking about this. Seems maybe each "first time" for each higher setting more of the stove is getting hotter curing paint that didn't get hot enough to cure on the lower setting?

Last edited:
I started mine for the first time last night and had about an hours worth of odor in the house. Nothing unbearable but it's good that the Windows were open and ceiling fans on.

Status
Not open for further replies.