Newly installed ST Croix Hastings Vibration Sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colbyc

Dec 17, 2008
long island
Does anyone know if I can take the back panel off a St Croix Hastings while it is fired up. I would assume so because it just looks like 6 screws or so and I can lift it over the exhaust pipe. Just wanted somones opinion before I tried it since I just got this stove Tues. It seems like there is a vibration sound when it is fired up like a loose screw rubing against metal. When I shut the stove off, it immediately goes away as the stove does its shut off routine. I have no idea what it could be. I know this is a hard one to explain/diagnose so I guess I was just going to start by pulling the back panel off to look for anything obvious.

The panel should be able to be removed during operation. It is a vented panel that does not have anything internal attached to it. Undo the screws, if the panel is hot use gloves, and slide it off the intake and exhaust pipes. This should not affect draft or stove pressures as its just an access panel.

I was reading some other posts about the versa grate and I noticed that this sound stops as soon as I turn the stove off. The fans are still going during this shut down mode but I believe the versa grate stops moving which is when this vibration sound stops moving. Possible bad versa grate motor or does it just need lubing? Stovbe was just installed a week ago.

I'm not sure it is the versagrate but you should disassemble the motor, rod and cam and apply no seize hi temp grease liberally to it. Grease can be purchased at auto parts store for about 6 bucks. hope this helps.

this does help. I stopped by the auto store on the way home. The only thing they had was anti seize grease. It didn't say hi temp but it was good to 1600 degrees. Talked to a buddy who is a fireman and he said aluminum starts distorting at 1300 degrees so this should be good. Anyone think 1600 degrees is not high enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.