Newmac WB100 Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mongolia

Dec 15, 2022
Atlantic Canada
Just bought a house with a Newmac WB100 furnace (not a combo). I don't know a lot about them, but have already burned about a half a cord this season. The issue I'm running into is that whenever I open the fire box, a rush of smoke comes out no matter what I do. I've cleaned the chimney, leave a window in the furnace room open, have the draft opened all the way and only burn well seasoned wood, but still smoke floods out. My theory is that the inside of the furnace needs a good cleaning, but can't wrap my head around how to do this. Above the fire box is a metal plate, does this remove easily? Then is it just a matter of scrubbing the surface above this plate?

Open to any other suggestions that people might have on this so I can hopefully stop smoking out the basement whenever I add some wood to the fire.