NG/LP Fireplace Pilot Goes out after releasing Igniter Knob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gaslogfireman

Feb 11, 2018
Arkansas
Hello Everyone!

First post to this Forum and really need some advice. I have a Thermablaster 24" Dual Fuel Vented Gas Log Fireplace that was purchased at Lowes a couple months ago. Had it installed in a traditional open chimney mason/rock fireplace that had gas available connected to a burner to start the logs. With the old burner taken out and new Gas Fireplace Set installed, I have only been able to keep the log set on for about 8 minutes once and then pilot went out. I have tried everything I can think of before calling their customer service on Monday. Held both knobs for the extended period of time, made sure thermocouple and ODS Pilot is clear and clean of any debris. Confirmed there is no extra strong draft that is causing the pilot to go out.

Basically the fireplace will work fine if I was to hold the igniter in and turn past Pilot. For some reason as I am in Pilot mode and the hit igniter button the pilot burner and ODS NG Pilot come on fine. They burn a strong blue color and the flame follows the manual by covering all necessary devices. I could leave the igniter button pushed in for a few minutes or 10 minutes, but once I slowly release the Igniter Button its like the gas just stops flowing and the ODS Pilot goes out but the pilot burner stays on. Obviously this will shut it down since the thermocouple is not staying hot.

I have searched and searched all sites possible for the answer but I can't find anything about why the ODS Pilot would go out after slowly releasing the igniter button. The gas flow seems very strong and has the normal valve for on/off function with metal key built into the stone.

I have made certain that hose was installed with no tight turns to restrict the flow of gas, and the air valve on bottom has been turned and locked into place for NG and not LP operation.

IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2246.JPG

Last edited:
Unscrew the thermocouple connector from the gas valve. Use a multimeter set to volts DC & take a milliVolt
reading on the end of the thermocouple. You may need an extra pair of hands & a set of jumper wires with alligator clips are useful, as well.
Put a clip on the copper tubing & the other on the extreme end that came out of the valve. That end is usually a small round grayish cylinder.
Attch the other end of each jumper to the multimeter wires. Polarity is not an issue so don't worry which jumper goes where.
Depress the Pilot button & as the flame burns, read the milliVolts & tell us what reading you get. In most cases, the reading needs to be OVER 25mV to hold the electromagnets open & allow the gas to flow to the pilot.