Nice article on alternatives to fossil heating oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH

Interesting article on the latest heating oil alternative. I am surprised that they completely neglected the renewable fuel oil plant proposed in East Millinocket, it uses a different approach to make a less refined liquid fuel oil that is currently being burned in a couple of district heating plants. It replaces #4 fuel oil and requires special handling and preheating the fuel.

The chart on the volume of wood pulled out of Maine's forests and its uses is also interesting

Meanwhile there is group trying to build a multibillion dollar renewable jet fuel plant at the former Loring Air Force base in Limestone Maine. With what is going on in Europe, I wonder of the air force does not miss having that base?

Plattsburgh used to have a base. I loved watching the A10s flying low between the mountains and over the lakes. I bet I miss the base more than the AF does. Closing the bases allows them to spend their limited budget on stuff they want to. They’ve been trying to get rid of the A10s for years.

I think the only branch I’ve read of expanding with new bases is the Navy opening a few more bases in the Philippines.

The air force would rather just station small air national guard tanker units and do lots of aerial refueling. With the price of modern fighter aircraft they just dont have that many to spread around and the support infrastructure to keep them running means they are better off keeping them concentrated at a few bases. Burlington managed to get a few F35s to replace their A-10s, it pisses off the locals but they need a few jets near the northeast coast for unexpected events like 9/11.