Nightmares -- or daydreams -- on 2021 pellet costs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Usually in June I get an order in for the fall pellet season, one or two skid's worth. I sent an e-mailto my usual supplier and, like most businesses, angering e-mails is apparently not a priority, so I'll probably be calling any day now.

That said, the 2020/2021 economy is full of reports of astronomical asking prices on almost any product, to the point where I am deferring some purchases if possible. If I have to, I can shut the stove down all winter and rely on the gas boiler which works fine and likely more efficient, if missing the ambiance. Is anyone already getting their 2021/2022 "stash" and, if so, what are you seeing versus last season?

I got 2 tons last week at $235/ton a 7% increase from last year which is tolerable for me.

I ordered my 21/22 pellets in April spring buy
from my dealer. If you buy them and pay for them
the price remains the same as the year before. So I
bought 4 1/2 tons at a far price for Canada
He stores (inside) till you call for delivery. Delivery
is includes in the price I have no idea what prices will be
but If all holds the price will go up

Usually in June I get an order in for the fall pellet season, one or two skid's worth. I sent an e-mailto my usual supplier and, like most businesses, angering e-mails is apparently not a priority, so I'll probably be calling any day now.

That said, the 2020/2021 economy is full of reports of astronomical asking prices on almost any product, to the point where I am deferring some purchases if possible. If I have to, I can shut the stove down all winter and rely on the gas boiler which works fine and likely more efficient, if missing the ambiance. Is anyone already getting their 2021/2022 "stash" and, if so, what are you seeing versus last season?

A significant part of pellet cost is transporatation, which is going up. That alone is reason to buy pellets now for the fall season.

Reactions: Washed-Up
My two tons of Vermont pellets cost $10 more per ton Then last year. $309/ton. They have gone up since I ordered mine in April.

Universal likes on all comments. My basic fuel price is still the same (free). I do need a ton of pellets just in case, I have 3 in the barn from last year, need a trip to TSC I guess. Topped up my propane bottles in the spring. I have a bad feeling that propane is gonna go way up.

TSC is offering 25 bucks off a ton. problem is, 25 bucks off what as there are no prices listed.

I'll try to grab a stale ton from the back lot (like I've done in previous years) and barter on the price.

For us fuel oil is and will continue to be going up also. Probably the oil increase will outpace pellet increases. That said, even if the heating cost of oil remains similar to pellets, I'll choose pellets over oil anyway. For one thing we're home all day, every day and we can keep the parts of the house we spend the most time in warmer with the pellet stove than with the forced air furnace. Secondly we like heating with pellets better than oil anyway.

Reactions: Knuckles2002
For us fuel oil is and will continue to be going up also. Probably the oil increase will outpace pellet increases. That said, even if the heating cost of oil remains similar to pellets, I'll choose pellets over oil anyway. For one thing we're home all day, every day and we can keep the parts of the house we spend the most time in warmer with the pellet stove than with the forced air furnace. Secondly we like heating with pellets better than oil anyway.
Agree...
our oil fired baseboard heat is fire up and heat, shut down, cool down, fire up and heat, rinse/lather/repeat.
the pellets stove is constant heat blowing as we burn 24/7..as long as pellets are in the hopper.

Paid 209 a ton, pro pellets at TSC ...got 4 tons. Loaded up and ready to go for 21-22 season..

Bought 4 tons from my dealer at early buy special in April...I also get to pick delivery month.. Win Win...

When I thought about having a pellet stove--actually ordered a inferior one thinking it might be good with no electricity. I looked at places that sold pellets on the net and some peoples pellets were no good and the best ones came from the east somewhere because they recommended "hard pellets" for burning. So I thought I could never find good pellets here and would have trouble burning these pellets and I had to depend on the "stores" so to speak in order to buy pellets..So after joining here and thinking about all of this and because I only got my stove for emergency use I decided on plain old wood burning..As far as the pellet stoves are concerned I really like them because of their convenience and if in proper working order delivered the product which is heat with relative ease...I guess in a way buying 4 tons is sort of a "get ready motion" for wintertime but you need a place to store this stuff too as well as wood..but pellets are easier and cleaner..Just thoughts here..So I am glad that you all are getting geared up for the winter coming..clancey

When I thought about having a pellet stove--actually ordered a inferior one thinking it might be good with no electricity. I looked at places that sold pellets on the net and some peoples pellets were no good and the best ones came from the east somewhere because they recommended "hard pellets" for burning. So I thought I could never find good pellets here and would have trouble burning these pellets and I had to depend on the "stores" so to speak in order to buy pellets..So after joining here and thinking about all of this and because I only got my stove for emergency use I decided on plain old wood burning..As far as the pellet stoves are concerned I really like them because of their convenience and if in proper working order delivered the product which is heat with relative ease...I guess in a way buying 4 tons is sort of a "get ready motion" for wintertime but you need a place to store this stuff too as well as wood..but pellets are easier and cleaner..Just thoughts here..So I am glad that you all are getting geared up for the winter coming..clancey
Actually the best pellets are Softwoods which have higher btu and lot less ash.. we pay a bit more here in the east for good softies as the majority of pellets sold here are Hardwoods...cheaper also.. downside is since there are so many hardwood brands a lot of crap is sold as premium hardwoods.

Isn't that ironic here "soft pellets" and in your area "hard pellets"----lol I will send you soft if you send me hard--just kidding...clancey

Reactions: Tonyray
Isn't that ironic here "soft pellets" and in your area "hard pellets"----lol I will send you soft if you send me hard--just kidding...clancey
Yeah.. 9 out of every 10 brands might be a softie...i know douglas firs from PNW are in the 200' s price.. here they cost 350 to 400.00 most due to shipping costs being so high but the firs are cleanest hottest pellets made hands down.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
If you factor in the current inflation rate, pellets will go into orbit by Christmas.

I figured things could and probably would be bad for the near foreseeable future so I bought my supply back in February/March. One ton of Pennington's from Wally world at $2 a bag, half a ton of locally produced hardwoods from Lowes at around $5.50 per bag, and the remaining 3 tons from a local trucker that discounted them to $200 per ton down from $250 to get rid of them. I have them stored in my conditioned crawlspace w/ humidity levels averaging 35%.

..i know douglas firs from PNW are in the 200' s price.. here they cost 350 to 400.00 most due to shipping costs being so high but the firs are cleanest hottest pellets made hands down.
You will be hard pressed to find the DF's for under $400 right now...
We had to begrudgingly go up to $439.
And when the current supply is gone,
we may not be able to get any more.
While they are very clean/hot,
I have to say that the 100% white pine pellets,
like the Matra... are VERY close..
and right now, they are $299 here. I love 'em.
On the hardwood vs. Softwood...
We get zero calls for hardwood.
We do have a blend, just for a few of the pellet boiler people.
For some reason, they like them.. I have no experience with them.
As for the future... all I can say is,
NOBODY on the supply end is committing to either price, or delivery.

Dan

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
YES..up to 439.00 here i have seen.
i have 3 tons that we're bought last year in my basement via Early Spring buy which we're under 400.00.
this season i bought 2 Matra and 2 Easyblaze softies.. I use 3/half to 4 ton per season.
i have used them past few years. Excellent! & IMHO they are both the close "2nd" to the Firs as far as heat and low ash..
upper 8K BTU. good Doug firs can hit 9K... my only tick about them is lot of fines but my Harman eats them and spits out heat too.

Last edited:
trying to keep the politics on a low ebb here but yes, the more money the Fed prints, the less it's worth, consequently, the costs increase, called inflation and nothing we can do about it, except open the wallet and let the fiat currency flow out. Life is a biatch.

Reactions: clancey
Factoring in 'inflation', expect The cost of pellet fuel to increase substantially next year. However they will still be a good deal compared to other fuels, especially propane and heating oil. Nothing good is coming from this inept administration but I take solace in the fact I didn't vote for the current senile leader.