No real heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tractorboy924

Hearth Supporter
Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
ok I installed last fall a ussc king stove and works great all winter. cleaned up and shut down for summer but other night got sorta cool so I fired it back up...but the heat output was not like it was this winter.

house never really warmed up. blower was blowing warn air but no HOT. what should I start checking to see whats up. It startedup normal to be....the blower waited for firebox to warm up to temp before kicking in.

I dont get it. fire flame looked good. just seemed funny to me. where did me heat go.. out the exhaust???

what to trouble shoot or steer me in a direction please.

love my stove but dont want issue this fall starting it back up.

Thank you all.

I'm not familiar with your stove. But,

Quick guess is that you bumped your Air Damper when cleaning.

Or changed quality of pellets. Did you try a new brand?
If not were the pellets you used good and dry?

Just guessing.
---Nailer---

I'm not familiar with your stove. But,

Quick guess is that you bumped your Air Damper when cleaning.

Or changed quality of pellets. Did you try a new brand?
If not were the pellets you used good and dry?

Just guessing.
---Nailer---
Hmmm ok I will see if I bumped anything thats possible and I tried to get it all real good. pellets seemed dry but they were in the hopper a while and could have soaked up some moisture. when I try again I will also have to try a new sealed bag. Good thoughts and input thank you.

Todd

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Hmmm ok I will see if I bumped anything thats possible and I tried to get it all real good. pellets seemed dry but they were in the hopper a while and could have soaked up some moisture. when I try again I will also have to try a new sealed bag. Good thoughts and input thank you.

Todd
I'm betting that is it. There is a recent thread that has quite a bit if mention about leaving pellets in the hopper. I can, but I am on the west coast and have very low summer humidity. If you are in an area of high humidity as a rule, then open pellet bags or left in the hopper is like a sponge. I think the pellet average moisture is around 10% +/- 5. So a high humidity area of say 70% or more for several days at a time will effect the pellets eventually IMO.

I'm betting that is it. There is a recent thread that has quite a bit if mention about leaving pellets in the hopper. I can, but I am on the west coast and have very low summer humidity. If you are in an area of high humidity as a rule, then open pellet bags or left in the hopper is like a sponge. I think the pellet average moisture is around 10% +/- 5. So a high humidity area of say 70% or more for several days at a time will effect the pellets eventually IMO.

I bet thats it...its been very wet this year so far here in Western NY...flooding and the like rain rain rain.... my lawn, feilds have standing water. I will try that and see/ im sure ok next fall. thank you. Never thought of how those will just wich moisture as sitting there in the hopper but makes sense.

I leave my pellets in all summer but very few, just enough to cover the bottom of the hopper. Anyway, never had an issue with heat production on start up. In the summer we run AC but between April and late may we can get some humid days. Never an issue.

When you cleaned that King did you remove the two plugs that give you access to the chambers where exhaust passes by the heat exchanger. I believe the King has those, I know other USSC stoves do and when it gets blocked up with ash you might have fire but no heat out the vents when the blower kicks on. If it gets bad enough it won't burn right either.