No smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyksc

Sep 28, 2013
Just wondering if it is normal to never have smoke of any kind come out of the chimney? Is this just a pellet stove thing? I have been watching to see and it does not seem to matter how cold it is, it never smokes. Not that it is a bad thing but I was just wondering.

yes, when i drive up to my house i have to look carefully to see the heat waves coming out of my flue . never any smoke . that's called efficiency .:)

Just wondering if it is normal to never have smoke of any kind come out of the chimney? Is this just a pellet stove thing? I have been watching to see and it does not seem to matter how cold it is, it never smokes. Not that it is a bad thing but I was just wondering.

The only time I ever get smoke is when I first start the fire. I live where we occasionally have burn bans due to poor air quality. Pellet stoves are exempt for just that reason. No smoke, it's a good thing.

Cool. We have burn bans too but when it is stage two we are not even supposed to run our pellet stoves. But the way that they "ticket" you is to see if you have smoke so no smoke, no tickets. :)

So just a story to illustrate the difference in a pellet stove and wood stove in this department. I had a garage door open today as I worked on my lawn tractor to get it ready for winter storage. I was laying on the floor unbolting the deck when I smelled so much smoke my eyes burned a little. I walked to the door and saw my neighbor's chimney (at least 100+ yards away) belching out smoke. He has a wood stove that's only used on weekends at most and is only two years old. I'd be surprised if he's had even close to 50 fires in it. But he must have had 5 acres of smoke. I looked over at my pellet vent (chimney) and could just barely see the waves of heat, and not a bit of smoke. In fact, other than at startup, there just isn't any!

Ol' Smokey cleared up after a bit, but probably created more smoke in 10 minutes than I do all year. And now his wife is demanding a pellet stove for next year.

The only time I ever get smoke is when I first start the fire. I live where we occasionally have burn bans due to poor air quality. Pellet stoves are exempt for just that reason. No smoke, it's a good thing.
where do you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.