Noisy pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pamela010257

Hearth Supporter
Jul 2, 2009
Maryland
Hello,
We bought a used pellet stove to "try out" before investing in a new one.
It is a older Whitfield WP2 Advantage insert. We cleaned it up, painted it, and had it installed today.
Nice heat but pretty noisy (louder than the gas fireplace blower that we just took out).
The manual says that we should not oil the room air blower. We can oil the exhaust blower and intend to do it.
Any suggestions or thoughts?

Pam

Why would you put oil near a heat source?

if the blower is noisy Racket sound then the blower is bad and oiling the motor will not do any good
Best to get a new blower.

What kind of noise? Motor noise, air movement noise, squealing bearings, nervous readers want to know. I think this might be comparable to buying an old car to test drive before you buy a new one. Compound that with one not known as a silent whisper.

A pellet stove needs to move a lot of air around the stove tom circulate the heat, can't expect it to be a passive circulation. Also, what speed are you running the blower at. On my stove, if i turn it down, the only way I know it's running it the little light show going on inside.

They do hum.

pamela0102 said:
.....The manual says that we should not oil the room air blower. We can oil the exhaust blower and intend to do it.

That's kinda interesting, as most pellet stoves recommend oiling the room blower, but not the exhaust blower.

macman said:
pamela0102 said:
.....The manual says that we should not oil the room air blower. We can oil the exhaust blower and intend to do it.

That's kinda interesting, as most pellet stoves recommend oiling the room blower, but not the exhaust blower.

Could it be one gets hot enough to burn the oil? Just off the top of my head

I think the recomendation is correct about not oiling the dist blower. Oil attracts and holds dust and debris which could gum up your motor or cause vibrations or imbalances that could wear out bearings/bushings.

Whitfields in general are noisey stoves with both fans running and the noise of the auger , which you hear everytime it turns, like a buzzing sound.
The auger has a rubber pad were the motor rests on, if that pad falls off which most do it after time and heat it will make a loud vibration.
If thats not the problem and the blower motors dont sqeak, turn up the tv, stereo...

Try moving form a noiseless electric heat home to one with a furnace and forced air right below your bedroom...i'll take my noisey Whitfield anyday!!

Assuming you've checked the blowers to be free of hair / build-up / etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.