Nordic Eric wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Janiec

Mar 28, 2020
Woodhaven, MI
I have a 1986 Nordic Eric wood stove, my insurance agent needs proof that it is UL approved. Does anyone have a manual that shows that it is UL approved. Maybe someone could take a picture of it and send it to me at: [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 200
An old thread on this stove says it has UL testing.

I don't recall seeing a manual posted. Is the UL tag still on the back of the stove? That should suffice. If not, then it has lost its certification.
The clearances for this install look very close. Also, check the rear UL label for specified clearances to make sure that they are sufficient in this installation.

An old thread on this stove says it has UL testing.

I don't recall seeing a manual posted. Is the UL tag still on the back of the stove? That should suffice. If not, then it has lost its certification.
The clearances for this install look very close. Also, check the rear UL label for specified clearances to make sure that they are sufficient in this installation.
All the clearances are within spec. The straight on view makes it look close because you can't see the rear and side clearances.

Unlisted stoves require 36" clearance in all directions. If that is true, full-size brick behind the stove then the clearance can be reduced to 18" to the rear and sides. It looks like there may be a wood shelf above the stove which also needs to respect clearance requirements from the stove and stovepipe.

Unlisted stoves require 36" clearance in all directions. If that is true, full-size brick behind the stove then the clearance can be reduced to 18" to the rear and sides. It looks like there may be a wood shelf above the stove which also needs to respect clearance requirements from the stove and stovepipe.

No problem, these are things that the insurance underwriter may point out and request.

It’s real brick, been there for 34 years. Thanks for the info. I installed it back then according to the Nordic specifications.
But are there any combustibles behind the brick?