Normal for local store to mark up pipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevk

Mar 30, 2024
Georgia
Got an itemized quote from a local fireplace store to purchase and install a wood burning stove in my new construction. Looking through the pricing for the chimney pipes etc, they've marked up the pricing between 50-100%! I looked up the retail prices online at Home Depot to confirm this. On top of this, they are charging a $700 installation fee. I'm all for supporting a small business and can understand a slightly higher price, but this seems ridiculous. Is this the norm?

50% is not uncommon. Be sure the parts are identical and not just similar. Something has to pay for the store rent, utilities, employees, insurance, vehicles, inventory, travel time, etc. If it is a good dealer, their support will be valuable if something needs to be addressed later on. $700 for the install seems pretty reasonable, even low, unless this is a simple installation.

Got an itemized quote from a local fireplace store to purchase and install a wood burning stove in my new construction. Looking through the pricing for the chimney pipes etc, they've marked up the pricing between 50-100%! I looked up the retail prices online at Home Depot to confirm this. On top of this, they are charging a $700 installation fee. I'm all for supporting a small business and can understand a slightly higher price, but this seems ridiculous. Is this the norm?
Also are they using the exact same type of pipe you priced out at home depot?

50% is not uncommon. Be sure the parts are identical and not just similar. Something has to pay for the store rent, utilities, employees, insurance, vehicles, inventory, travel time, etc. If it is a good dealer, their support will be valuable if something needs to be addressed later on. $700 for the install seems pretty reasonable, even low, unless this is a simple installation.
Yes they listed the Dura-Vent part #s on the quote. For example : 6DVL24- Dura-Vent 6" DVL 24" Double-wall Black Pipe, their price $179.70 ea. Home Depot price $69. They obviously pay wholesale prices for the pipes, to add a 100% markup to the retail price seems greedy.

It seems the stove industry down here is.... thin. Yes they need to mark up but the prices I got from a "dealer" in NC was insane. He called to check up and I told him I was bringing it with me, thanks for the quote.

Reactions: kevk
Yes they listed the Dura-Vent part #s on the quote. For example : 6DVL24- Dura-Vent 6" DVL 24" Double-wall Black Pipe, their price $179.70 ea. Home Depot price $69. They obviously pay wholesale prices for the pipes, to add a 100% markup to the retail price seems greedy.
This is why for one we use stuff only available to pros. And 2 we don't itemize our quotes.

This is why for one we use stuff only available to pros. And 2 we don't itemize our quotes.
Is the stuff available to pros superior than what they sell at the hardware store? Honest question.
I can understand commercial grade over residential is more durable, but I always thought material used for residential vs what my contractor can get through his channels are one in the same - he just gets it at a discount as a contractor.

It seems the stove industry down here is.... thin. Yes they need to mark up but the prices I got from a "dealer" in NC was insane. He called to check up and I told him I was bringing it with me, thanks for the quote.
I was talking to my boss about my quote as he had just installed a PE stove in his house. He's located in the mid-west and said the stores around him were also quoting crazy prices. He is fortunate enough to have relatives that work in construction so was able to hire them to assist with the install.

Is the stuff available to pros superior than what they sell at the hardware store? Honest question.
I can understand commercial grade over residential is more durable, but I always thought material used for residential vs what my contractor can get through his channels are one in the same - he just gets it at a discount as a contractor.
In some cases yes some no. In your case no he is buying the same stuff available to you. Possibly even at retail prices

I see a lot of contractors at Home Depot. Many contractors are paying the same prices as you are.

I work in a locally owned hardware store and we sale Duravent. I think the quote they gave you is probobally MSRP.
In my experience places like lowes and homedepot, atleast in my area, can sell that pipe at a lower price than we purchase it.

Reactions: bholler and begreen
Small stove shop does not have the buying power of HD. They buy in small quantities as they need it and they are probably paying more than your HD price from their supplier. Welcome to corporate capitalism, everyone should start and run a small business once in their life.

Small stove shop does not have the buying power of HD. They buy in small quantities as they need it and they are probably paying more than your HD price from their supplier. Welcome to corporate capitalism, everyone should start and run a small business once in their life.
I agree everyone should have at least on business to understand the real picture.

When I got a quote from a dealer
for the setup I have now, I called into Murphy for the lower taxes. The number was nuts. I brought everything down from a dealer I got lots of things from up north.

I go of my way to spend with the local small shops, for about anything, but I REFUSE to give money to one that thinks he's gonna stroke me.