North Country Softie's Updated review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phil Do's fire.

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Hyde Park, NY
I reported on November 17, 2107 a review of these pellets. Here is an update,

This is the first time since I have owned my stove in 23,000 + hours that I had to make changes!
  • Excessive moisture in pellet, open bags for 3 days helps
  • Pellets are very small, blocks off air holes in burnpot
  • Turn down feed rate if possible, I slowed the burn rate 21% .
  • Lowering the burn rate also lowered heat output, stove runs much longer
  • Increase combustion blower speed
  • Pellet is still on ashy side but now burn well.
I am lucky that with my Italian pellet stove I can alter pellet feed rates and combustion blower by 3% at a time. Most pellet stove's especially older units, give a person a 1-5 setting which could be to little or to much of a rate.

I would be very cautious if your stove doesn't like ashy pellets and has sub-standard combustion blower rate.

Updated rating is 3 stars!

Been using them in a cheapie Englander in my shop,
and they are working fine...
24 hours on a bag... maybe a little more ashy than used to,
but no problems..
For around the same money as BBS stuff (around here).... way better...

Dan

Reactions: Harmanizer
Pete, New Englanders may work well i your shop stove but when you compare heat output and ash content a good softie blows them away. It's worth the extra $$'s to buy a good pellet when heating a living area. New Englandersm Stove Chow and Currans are the lowest heat and highest ash output out there!