1. heatingcostssuck

heatingcostssuck
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Masonary Walls.
    Lath and Plaster with a Cavity behind it.
    Don't want to mess with the cavity due to air flow and moisture.

But...

uX6gUNC.png

I am thinking a pellet boiler connecting to a heat exchanger on the Forced Air furance..

2. heatingcostssuck

heatingcostssuck
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario

Edit Note: Realization that I should have done this 3 years ago when I had the cash. Now that I have extra cash, I gotta figure it out again.

3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Are you sure pellets will be cheaper? Around here they're not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. heatingcostssuck

heatingcostssuck
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Well, I'm seeing numbers like $285 for a ton.

All the calcs I am doing online seem to indicate that for fuel, the heating costs would be 50% of what I am paying now.

I'm still in the numbers stage.

5. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    Assume your average oil cost was around $1/Liter the last few years; that is $3.785/Gal
    1 Gal of oil has 138,000 BTU's
    For 1,000,000 BTU's this would cost then $27.43/mmBTU
    Let's assume an oil boiler efficiency of 85, then the cost is $32.27/mmBTU

1 Ton of wood pellets has 2,200 Lbs x 8,000 BTU/Lb = 17,600,000 BTU/Ton (I assumed you are talking metric ton)
    At $285/ton, the cost for 1,000,000 BTU of heat from pellets would be $285/17.6 = $16.19/mmBTU
    Let's assume a modern, fully automatic, self cleaning pellet boiler, small thermal storage has an efficiency of 85%, then the cost is $19.05/mmBTU

So, heating with oil would cost you 1.69 times more then heating with wood pellets.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I have a hunch no, on the metric ton thing.

Which would be maybe another 10%.

Here they are usually around $6/bag, or $300/ton, plus 15% HST.

Not sure on oil cost right now. We don't burn it any more. Father got an oil delivery last week, I'll try to check his bill out.

7. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    There may be several reasons why you don't want to close up the house perhaps historical or subtle change in style. but I would do something other than changing fuels. Like move to a yurt, LOL. It takes a lot of any fuel to make that many BTUs. Regardless of how wealthy you are or which fuel you use, that doesn't register as a good value.

8. leon

leon
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2013
    Loc:
    Southern Finger Lakes Region of New York
    Your going to find that rice sized anthracite coal is going to cost you less.

You can purchase a coal stoker stove/ furnace that you can tie into your existing plenum

Green Valley Heating in Granton, Ontario, Canada sells anthracite coal. You would have to call Blashack and Lehigh Coal to see if they have a dealer closer to you.

9. Dutchie84

Dutchie84
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I think there is something wrong with your spread sheet also. Looks like the tax was already included in amount column then you added it again for the total. ex. row 22 490.3 x.9999= 490.25 x 1.13 = 553.98

Just so your comparing apples to apples.

10. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 13, 2012
    Loc:
    Central Wi.
    Depending on your location, cut split dry firewood around here is about $11 per MMbtu. you don't have to do anything but keep it dry and load it in the boiler. you'd be looking at about 12 cords if you ran it thru a Gasifier. Price is pretty stable too.

karl