Not sure what I have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fredop33

May 3, 2022
Royalrumble!
Hi! Just joined this forum because I have been scouring the internet. I acquired a vintage wood burner. Not sure exactly what I have though! I keep seeing preway out there. Just looking for any help! I will attach a pic.

F487B7C6-F5D2-4FF4-9BFB-1B22381202D2.jpeg 4229EA14-D4A5-4E2A-B5D0-E83B554A0258.jpeg

Most likely a Malm or Preway.

Search all over it for a UL testing tag. If no ID maybe contact Malm and ask if it is one of theirs.

Hi! Just joined this forum because I have been scouring the internet. I acquired a vintage wood burner. Not sure exactly what I have though! I keep seeing preway out there. Just looking for any help! I will attach a pic.

View attachment 295344 View attachment 295345
I’m going to go with a Preway but what’s throwing me off is the legs. It’s possible that mine were cut for aesthetic purposes but what I have and use looks just like that only it sits up 3-4 inches from the ground only. If so they had a small fan club back in the late 60s early 70s and we’re available in white, fire orange, and a drab 70s green color. Possibly a couple others. My parents had an orange one, which they sold when I was old enough to walk because of the possible danger. Their neighbor bought it and subsequently burnt their house down with it after throwing a few logs on and passing out intoxicated. I currently live in my grandfathers house which has had a white one like yours since around 1971. They are definitely more for aesthetics than anything else but a couple small pieces of wood or bio logs and it makes a great cozy conversation piece with a wider than normal view of the fire.

I’m going to go with a Preway but what’s throwing me off is the legs. It’s possible that mine were cut for aesthetic purposes but what I have and use looks just like that only it sits up 3-4 inches from the ground only. If so they had a small fan club back in the late 60s early 70s and we’re available in white, fire orange, and a drab 70s green color. Possibly a couple others. My parents had an orange one, which they sold when I was old enough to walk because of the possible danger. Their neighbor bought it and subsequently burnt their house down with it after throwing a few logs on and passing out intoxicated. I currently live in my grandfathers house which has had a white one like yours since around 1971. They are definitely more for aesthetics than anything else but a couple small pieces of wood or bio logs and it makes a great cozy conversation piece with a wider than normal view of the fire.
Hopefully it is sitting on concrete if that is the case. Cutting down the legs probably blew its hearth requirements.