Novel method for hydrogen production

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Still at the lab stage. Quantum physics is spooky stuff, but if this process scales, it could be a real boost to hydrogen production.

How are making most of the ammonia?

Which confirms my understanding that methane is used to generate hydrogenated to make ammonia which the new low energy nanoscale + LED turns back into hydrogen. I must be missing something…..

1669545088448.png

Skip the hydrogen and burn the ammonia directly. https://www.nh3fuel.com/index.php/faqs/16-ammonia/35-is-ammonia-the-ideal-energy-currency. Its easier to store ammonia than hydrogen.

Reactions: woodgeek and EbS-P
I missed the “distribution” word. I guess it makes some sense but I’m not convinced Hydrogen is the way of the future yet.

It shifts the sustainability problem to the stock for hydrogen. I agree transporting ammonia is easier (I've mentioned this here before), and that seems to have been the goal: move quantities of hydrogen without having explosive gases under pressure in your car. (Well, as.peakbagger shows, ammonia can do so too, but less problematic than high pressure hydrogen, imo). Only how to extract it remained a problem. This work presents progress in that but doesn't provide a sustainable fuel production at its base.

This is nothing spooky. Quantum mechanics (first principles, most likely) only entered in the efforts to describe what is happening. Other than that, the concept is a nice mix of chemistry (catalytics) and physics. Nothing spooky going on here.

View attachment 303910

Skip the hydrogen and burn the ammonia directly. https://www.nh3fuel.com/index.php/faqs/16-ammonia/35-is-ammonia-the-ideal-energy-currency. Its easier to store ammonia than hydrogen.
Funny you should mention that. I was wondering if that was possible. It's worth noting that the quoted report on using ammonia in an ICE engine is dated 1966. Next to research, can ammonia be used directly with fuel cells.

The OP study uses plasmonics, which I have done a fair amount of study on. The idea is that if you have a tiny metallic particle, the electric field gets amplified near its surface, especially if its designed to resonantly oscillate at the light frequency, so a photoreaction will occur more rapidly. They formed iron based nanoparticles that provided that resonant enhancement.

The first plasmonic particles were nano-gold formulations, which resonate in the red wavelength. Some made my Faraday are still in existence. They also get dispersed in red stained glass.... and never fade.

I am very skeptical of the scalability of this tech, bc mass producing nanoparticles, getting light to them all, and maintaining their surfaces (durability) in a reactive environemnt sounds VERY difficult.

Reactions: EbS-P
No, the plasmons were excited in copper that had some iron in it, the latter acted as the active sites.

It all depends on the light delivery. Streaming a thin film suspension of particles in ammonia below a led bank seems to be needed.

Reactions: woodgeek
There is a huge amount of funding for novel catalysis these days, esp photocatalysis. We will see if the tech delivers. Many of these very fancy new materials have very poor durability.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I agree. I've had some DOE funding related to this.

The main problem I see is surface oxidation. Unless iron in cation valences (rather than metallic form) is effective as well.

Plasmon enhanced catalysis is not new. I think they (husband and wife team here) were able to get into Science because of the hydrogen selling point.

We'll see, earliest a decade from now...

Reactions: woodgeek
There is a huge amount of funding for novel catalysis these days, esp photocatalysis. We will see if the tech delivers. Many of these very fancy new materials have very poor durability.
Stuff is always of poor durability in the beginning. Durability takes time.

Reactions: EbS-P